When you try to update a Microsoft Office 2003 program, you may experience one of the following symptoms:
- When you try to update an MSI-based program, the installation of the update may not be completed successfully. The program may have been downloaded from a Microsoft Web site or installed from a CD-ROM or another installation source.
For example, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following error message:
Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2003
Installation Error: File not Found
A required installation file XLVIEWER.CAB could not be found
Original Installation Source Required:
Your Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2003 installation source has been corrupted or removed. You will need to download Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2003 again or reinstall from your original media.
These symptoms also occur when you try to update the following Microsoft Office tools:
- Microsoft Office Word 2003 XML Viewer
- Microsoft Office 2003 Resource Kit
- Microsoft Office 2003 HTML Viewer
- Microsoft Office Outlook Connector for IBM Lotus Domino
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 Presentation Broadcast
- Windows SharePoint Services Template Pack
- Microsoft Office 2003 English Web Parts and Components
This issue may occur if one of the following conditions is true:
- The Disk Cleanup tool deleted the Local Installation Source (LIS) files for the program that you are trying to update.
- The Disk Cleanup tool corrupted the LIS registry information so that the Office Setup program cannot detect the LIS.
This issue will not occur with any program that does not use an LIS. For example, this issue will not occur with Microsoft Office XP or with earlier versions of Microsoft Office.
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods, depending on your situation.
Method 1: Reinstall the MSI-based program
If you are trying to update an MSI-based program, such as Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2003, follow these steps:
- Use the Add or Remove Programs tool to remove the program that you are trying to update.
- Reinstall the program by using the file that you obtained from the Microsoft Web site.
- Update the reinstalled program.
When you reinstall a MSI-based program, the LIS is created on your local hard disk drive. With the LIS present, updates to a MSI-based program can be completed successfully because the update has access to the source files for the program.
Method 2: Provide the source files location
If you are prompted for the source files for the installed program during the update process, click Browse
, and then provide the source files location.
For example, you installed Microsoft Office 2003 from a CD-ROM. If you are trying to install an update such as Service Pack 2 for Office 2003, click Browse
, and then insert the original Office 2003 CD-ROM when you are prompted. Note
When you provide the CD-ROM or the location of the source files, the installation of an update for an Office 2003 program can be completed successfully because the update has access to the source files for the program. However, if you update the program again in the future, the source files may not be available. This issue may occur if the LIS files have been deleted, moved, or disabled. Additionally, this issue may occur if the LIS files are in a location that is not currently available. To resolve this issue, use the Microsoft Office 2003 Local Installation Source tool to enable the LIS or to move the LIS to a location that is available when you update the program. For example, move the LIS to your local hard disk drive.
For more information about the Microsoft Office 2003 Local Installation Source tool, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
For more information about the LIS, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Local Install Source (Msocache)
Frequently asked questions about the Local Install Source feature in Office 2003
Article ID: 914907 - Last Review: March 30, 2006 - Revision: 2.8
- Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Students and Teachers Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office 2003 Editions Resource Kit
- Microsoft Office 2003 Web Components
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2.0
- Microsoft Office Excel 2003
- Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2003
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 Viewer
- Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003
- Microsoft Office Project Standard 2003
- Microsoft Office Publisher 2003
- Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003
- Microsoft Office Visio Standard 2003
- Microsoft Office Word 2003
- Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003
- Microsoft Office Access 2003
- Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003
- Microsoft Office InfoPath 2003
- Microsoft Office OneNote 2003
|kbsetup kbtshoot kbprb KB914907|