Article ID: 917583
When you attempt to run Microsoft eLearning Library (MELL), or Microsoft eLearning offline and online, you may receive the following error:
"Unable to initialize the viewer. If you have installed the viewer to your computer, please rerun the setup program. If you are accessing the viewer from a server, please contact your system administrator. "
"Unable to initialize the viewer. If you have installed the viewer to your computer, please rerun the setup program. If you are accessing the viewer from a server, please contact your system administrator.
General Exception. "
The error is caused by a limitation in the code when MSXML6 is installed by Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, Microsoft Office SharePoint 2005, Microsoft Windows Vista Business, Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise, Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium, Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate, or Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic.
A fix is available to correct this problem. You must have administrator rights to run the XML6-Patchtool.exe. If you do not have such user rights, contact your system administrator.
1. Download the MSLXML6Patchtool.exe package, a self-extracting file, from the Microsoft web site at MSLXML6Patchtool.exe
2. Locate the “MELL” folder on your system. For example:
a. “C:\Program Files\MELL” for default local installs.
b. “C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MELL” for default web server installs.
c. If the MELL product was installed to a custom folder, your path may be different.
Or, find the target location by the shortcut properties:
a. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then navigate to the shortcut for your MELL product. Note: The installed edition can be IT Professional Edition, Desktop Edition, or Developer Edition.
b. Right-click on any MELL product name.
c. Click Properties on the drop down menu.
d. Click Shortcut tab if needed.
e. The target location is the install location for this product and includes the path to the “MELL” folder.
3. Ensure the files under the “MELL” folder are not ‘read-only’.
4. Move the file MSLXML6Patchtool.exe to the “MELL” folder.
5. Double click MSLXML6Patchtool.exe to extract the enclosed 14 files to the "MELL" folder.
6. Click “Start”, and click “Run…”.
7. Type: “cmd” and click OK
8. Change the directory to the “MELL” folder from the command line. For example,
for a default local install:
for a default web server install:
9. Type “xml6-patchtool.exe /m insert /p “<path to MELL folder>”” and then press the Enter key to execute the patch. For example:
Note: If the path to the MELL folder contains spaces then the above path requires quotes around the path.
If the success message "Operation completed with no errors" is not displayed after completion of the steps, please refer to the log file, located in your “MELL” folder, for further troubleshooting information.
To see all command line parameters and syntax, make sure the command line directory is set to the “MELL” folder and type: “xml6-patchtool.exe /?”
Article ID: 917583 - Last Review: June 20, 2014 - Revision: 2.0
Contact us for more help