When you try to install Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) 2005 Service Pack 1 (SP1) Reporting, the prerequisite checking process fails. The prerequisite report contains the following information.
Collapse this tableExpand this table
(if different from minimum)
|Required For||Detected Value||Resolution|
|Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services||Unspecified error||MOM Reporting||Unable to contact the Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services server via Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)||Please see product release notes for more information|
This problem occurs if the following conditions are true:
- You are using a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services server.
- The Automatically detect virtual directories check box is selected in the SQL Server Reporting Services Server dialog box.
Note By default, the Automatically detect virtual directories check box is selected.
This problem occurs because the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) namespace location was changed in SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services.
To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Interactive installation
- Start the MOM 2005 SP1 Reporting installation process.
- In the Welcome to the Microsoft Operations Manager 2005 Reporting Setup Wizard dialog box, click Next.
- Click to agree to the Microsoft Software License Terms, and then click Next.
- In the Registration Information dialog box, enter registration information, and then click Next.
- Chose a destination folder, and then click Next.
- In the SQL Server Reporting Services Server dialog box, type the name of the SQL 2005 Reporting Services server in the Enter the SQL Server Reporting Services Server Name box.
- Click to clear the Automatically detect virtual directories check box.
- In the Report Server Virtual Directory and Report Manager Virtual Directory boxes, type the name of the SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services virtual directories, and then click Next.
Note By default, the SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services virtual directory names are as follows:
Do not enter the full URL name. Enter only ReportServer and Reports. If the default names were changed from their default names during the installation of SQL Reporting Services, enter the new names for the ReportServer and Reports virtual directories. If the virtual directory names are not known, they can be obtained from the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager MMC snap-in on the server that is running the SQL Reporting Services Web site.
- The Report Server virtual directory is named ReportServer.
- The Report Manager virtual directory is named Reports.
- On the Prerequisite Check Passed dialog box, click Next, and then finish the MOM 2005 SP1 Reporting installation process.
Method 2: Unattended installation
When you script the installation of MOM 2005 Reporting to do an unattended installation, you must disable automatic detection of the Report Server virtual directories. To disable automatic detection, use the AUTOMATICALLY_DETECT_ROSETTA_VDIRS=0
WMI property. Additionally, the virtual directory names must be entered for the following properties:
For example, the property entries should resemble the following:
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
The prerequisite checking process fails on a SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services server when the process tries to detect the Report Server URLs by using WMI. The process fails because of a WMI namespace location change that occurred between the release of SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services and the release of SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services.
The WMI namespace that is created on a SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services server is as follows:
The WMI namespace that is created on a SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services server is as follows:
The MOM 2005 prerequisite checking process cannot query the Reporting Services WMI namespace because of this change.
Article ID: 918712 - Last Review: June 8, 2007 - Revision: 4.0
- Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) 2005 Service Pack 1, when used with:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services
|kbreport kbtshoot kbprb KB918712|