This article discusses a method that can be used to archive
project plans in Microsoft Office Project Server 2003 and in Microsoft Project
Server 2002. This method will remove the project plans from the Project Center
views and from the Resource Center views.
Note The archived project plans will continue to be reported in the
online analytical processing (OLAP) cube.
To archive project plans, follow these steps:
- Create a new Project Server
account that is named Archive. To do this, follow these
- Log on to Project Web Access as an
- Click Admin, click Manage
users and groups, and then click Add User.
- Click the Project Server authentication, using
a logon name and password option, and then type
Archive in the User Account box.
Complete all the required fields, and then click Save Changes.
- Create a new security category that is named
Archive category. To do this, follow these steps:
- In Project Web Access, click Admin,
click Manage security, and then click Add
- In the Name box, type
- In the Available users and groups box,
click Archive, and then click Add.
- In the Set Permissions with Template
list, click Project Manager, and then click Set
Permissions with Template.
- In the Projects: Select the projects that users
in this category can view section, click the Only the projects
indicated below option, and then list the plans that you want to
Note If you want to see these project plans in Project Center, add
views to this category.
- Click Save Changes.
- Assign all the old plans to this project manager. To do
this, follow these steps:
- Open the plan by using the Archive account in Microsoft
Office Project Professional 2003.
- Click Resources.
- In the Resources pane, click
Add columns of custom information.
- In the Add columns pane, click
Book Type, and then click Insert this
- For all the resources, click Proposed
in the Booking Type column. This will remove the tasks from
the user Timesheet views.
- Republish the plan in Project Professional 2003. To do
this, follow these steps:
- Click Collaborate, point to
Publish, and then click Republish
- Clear all options except the Become the manager
for these assignments option.
- Click OK, and then close the
By following these steps, you will set up the category so that only
the Archive account can view the plan. This method will remove the project
plans from the Project Center views and from the Resource Center views. These
plans will continue to be reported in the OLAP cube.
Article ID: 920327 - Last Review: September 18, 2011 - Revision: 3.0
- Microsoft Office Project Server 2003
- Microsoft Project Server 2002