Consider the following scenario:
- You use the Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE) to create a customized installation of Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or of Microsoft Windows XP.
- You have a network adapter that installs a virtual bus driver. This virtual bus driver resides on top of the physical bus driver. For example, you have a PCI-X adapter that installs its own bus to control multiple components on the adapter.
- You use the -minint switch when you start the Factory.exe process.
In this scenario, the network adapter is not loaded. Additionally, you may receive the following error message:
Failed to install network adapter -- check WINBOM
To work around this problem, use the -WinPE
switch when you start the Factory.exe process instead of using the -minint
switch. The -WinPE
switch enhances Plug and Play detection functionality. Therefore, a wider variety of network adapters can be detected.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 921440 - Last Review: February 9, 2007 - Revision: 1.3
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
|kbqfe kberrmsg kbprb kbexpertiseinter KB921440|