When you try to configure Windows Automatic Updates in Control Panel on a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, you cannot turn on automatic updates. This problem occurs after you have applied Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).
To resolve this problem, reregister the following files:
To do this, follow these steps:
- Close Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Click Start, click Run, type Regsvr32 filename, and then click OK
Note Replace filename by using the name of the file that you are registering.
- When you receive the following message, click OK.
Note In this message, filename will reference the file that you are registering.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 922374 - Last Review: July 24, 2006 - Revision: 1.2
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (SP2)
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2)