When you use a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer to share files with another user over a network, you receive the following error message:
Error: Server service not started
Additionally, when you try to start the Server service, the service does not start. Instead, you receive the following error message:
Error 126: The specified module cannot be found
This problem occurs if the Srvsvc.dll file is missing or corrupted.
To resolve this problem, extract a new copy of the Srvsvc.dll file from the Windows XP disk to the %systemroot%
\system32 folder on the computer's hard disk. To do this, follow these steps:
- Insert the Windows XP disk into the computer's CD drive. Press and hold down SHIFT as you insert the disk to prevent the Windows XP installation process from starting automatically.
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.
- At the command prompt, type expand CD drive:\i386\srvsvc.dl_ %systemroot%\system32\srvsvc.dll, and then press ENTER.
- After the command runs successfully, click OK.
To close the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
- Restart the computer.
Article ID: 922376 - Last Review: August 2, 2006 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
|kbfilesystems kbtshoot kberrmsg kbprb KB922376|