When you try to connect a Microsoft Windows 2000-based client computer to a printer on a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition-based print server, you receive the following error message:
You do not have sufficient access to your machine to connect to the selected printer.
This problem occurs if the x86 32-bit drivers for the printer are not installed on the Windows Server 2003-based print server. This problem occurs because Windows 2000-based client computers do not install the driver from the local driver cache.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- On the Windows Server 2003-based print server, click Start, click Run, type Control printers, and then click OK.
- Right-click the printer that is experiencing the problem, and then click Properties.
- Click the Sharing tab, and then click Additional Drivers.
- Click to select the check boxes for Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003.
- Click OK.
- In the Copy files from box, type a valid path for the i386 folder of a Windows 2000, Windows XP (x86), or Windows Server 2003 (x86) CD.
- Click OK.
Windows XP-based client computers will install the driver from the local driver cache if the local driver name matches the driver name on the server. Windows XP-based client computers will use the driver on the server before they use the driver in the local cache. Therefore, make sure that you install on the print server the latest version of the x86 driver that works for all versions of the operating systems that are running on the print server's client computers.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 926080 - Last Review: October 11, 2007 - Revision: 1.9
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 x64 Enterprise
- Microsoft Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 x64 Standard
|kbqfe kbnofix kbbug kbprb kbexpertisebeginner KB926080|