Microsoft has released security bulletin MS07-039. The security bulletin contains all the relevant information about the security update. This information includes file manifest information and deployment options. To view the complete security bulletin, visit one of the following Microsoft Web sites:
Known issues with this security updateImportant
This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
- You do not have to install this update on Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional-based computers. However, you should install this update on all the Windows servers that are listed in the "Applies to" section, whether the server is a domain controller or not. This action helps protect the network if you decide to turn a server into a domain controller.
- This security update changes the behavior of an earlier released hotfix (906381). Because of the new behavior, only domain administrators and network administrators can renew certificates. Also, an administrator cannot delegate the right to renew certificates. The set of users who can take advantage of this hotfix has been restricted. Customers who want to revert to the old behavior of hotfix 906381 can do so by follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type Enable Skip Server Certificate Renewal Authentication for the name of the DWORD, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click Enable Skip Server Certificate Renewal Authentication, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
Article ID: 926122 - Last Review: September 30, 2011 - Revision: 4.0
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition for Itanium-Based Systems
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition for Itanium-based Systems
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition
|kbregistry kbwin2000sp5fix kbexpertiseinter kbwinserv2003postsp2fix kbqfe kbsecurity kbsecbulletin kbsecvulnerability kbbug kbfix KB926122|