Consider the following scenario. You use Windows Internet Explorer 7 to browse to a Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 site or to a Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 site. The SharePoint site is located in the Internet zone. Additionally, the SharePoint site has online presence enabled. When you browse to the SharePoint site, you receive the following message in the Information bar in Internet Explorer 7:
This issue occurs if the Name ActiveX control (Name.dll) is not added to the list of preapproved controls in Internet Explorer 7. The Name ActiveX control is included in the 2007 Microsoft Office system.
To work around this issue, use one of the following methods, as appropriate for your situation.
Method 1: Add the SharePoint site to the Trusted Sites list in Internet Explorer 7 on the Windows client computer
Add the SharePoint site to the Trusted Sites in Internet Explorer 7 on the Microsoft Windows client computer. To do this, follow these steps:
- Start Internet Explorer 7.
- On the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the Security tab.
- Click Trusted sites, and then click Sites.
- In the Trusted sites dialog box, type the URL of the SharePoint site in the Add this website to the zone box, and then click Add.
- Click Close, and then click OK.
Method 2: Configure the master page of the SharePoint site on the front-end Web server
If the SharePoint site does not require online presence for anonymous users, configure the master page of the SharePoint site to use a new InitNoPresence.js file. Note
: Disabling this control can also disable the Multiple Document Upload control for the affected audience which is why it is recommended to target the change below to anonymous users only. To do this, follow these steps:
- Create the InitNoPresence.js file. To do this, follow these steps:
- Start Notepad and create a InitNoPresence.js file on the front-end Web server in the same file folder as Init.js.
Note The Init.js file is located in the Drive:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\Template\Layouts\1033 folder.
- In the InitNoPresence.js file, add the following lines of code.
if (typeof(ctx)=="undefined") return;
if (ctx.CurrentUserId == -1) return;
if (EnsureIMNControl() && IMNControlObj.PresenceEnabled)
- Save the InitNoPresence.js file.
- Configure the master page of the SharePoint site to use the InitNoPresence.js file. To do this, follow these steps:
Note Microsoft does not support making changes directly in the Init.js file. By adding a new file to override the function the customization will not be removed by an update. By using a new master page the customization can be easily removed for testing by restoring the original default.master page.
- Start Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007. Then, open the a copy of the master page for the SharePoint site.
- In the copy of the master page, locate the following line of code.
- Below the line that you located in the step 2b, add the following line of code.
- Save the new copy of the master page and set it as the new default master page.
Article ID: 931509 - Last Review: September 22, 2011 - Revision: 8.0
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
- Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
- Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP
- Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Server 2003
- Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
|kbregistry kbprb kbtshoot kbexpertiseinter KB931509|