This article describes how to uninstall Microsoft Windows Media Player 11 in Microsoft Windows XP.
Use the methods in the order presented to uninstall Windows Media Player 11.
Method 1: Uninstall Windows Media Player in safe mode
- Start the computer in safe mode. To do this, follow these steps:
- Restart the computer.
- Press F8 while the computer is restarting.
- Click Safe Mode, and the press ENTER.
- Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
- Click Windows Media Player 11, and then click Remove.
- Follow the prompts to uninstall Windows Media Player 11, and then restart the computer when you are prompted.
- If Windows Media Player 11 is not removed, try Method 2.
Method 2: Run a program to remove Windows Media Player
If Method 1 does not work, you can use this procedure to uninstall the core of Windows Media Player.
- Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\$ntUninstallwmp11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe, and then click OK.
- Click Next, and then click Finish.
To prevent Windows Update from downloading Windows Media Player 11, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
- Click Custom, and then click Software, Optional in the Microsoft Update Home pane.
- Expand Windows Media Player 11.
- Click to select the Don't show this update again check box.
Note If the Don't show this update again check box is unavailable or dimmed, click to clear the Windows Media Player 11 check box, and then click to select the Don't show this update again check box.
- Click Review and Install updates to save the setting.
Article ID: 934372 - Last Review: September 27, 2011 - Revision: 4.0