On a computer that is running Windows Vista, you experience one or more of the following problems:
- Icons are missing from Control Panel.
- You cannot start Control Panel. When you try to start Control Panel, the screen may flash briefly, but Control Panel does not start.
- You cannot start the Welcome Center. For example, when you type welcome center in the Start Search box, and then you click Welcome Center in the Programs list, nothing happens.
- You cannot start Windows Vista games such as Chess or Minesweeper. When you try to start the games, nothing happens.
These problems may occur intermittently.
Service pack information
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows Vista. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
To resolve these problems, install the hotfix that is described in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
Error message during Windows Vista startup if the Nero InCD program is installed and if the "Special pool" feature is enabled in the Driver Verifier utility: "Stop 00000050"
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section. This problem was first corrected in Windows Vista Service Pack 1.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 936686 - Last Review: May 19, 2008 - Revision: 2.2
- Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Business 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Starter
- Windows Vista Home Basic
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Ultimate
|kbvistasp1fix kbtshoot kbbug kbexpertisebeginner KB936686|