When you try to reinstall the server tools in Microsoft Windows Small Business Server (Windows SBS) 2003, or when you try to reinstall components such as Intranet or Monitoring, you experience the following symptom:
You are prompted for the Windows SBS 2003 discs during the installation process as expected. However, when you insert a Windows SBS 2003 disc, you receive the following error message:
The drive contains a disc for Windows Small Business Server 2003 with no service packs. When the prompt appears, insert a disc for Windows Small Business Server 2003 with Service Pack 1.
This issue may occur if the following conditions are true:
- You are running Windows Small Business Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1).
- When you reinstall one of the components that are mentioned in the "Symptoms" section, you use a disc from the original version of Windows SBS 2003.
Additionally, the Setup program may prompt you to insert Windows Small Business Server 2003 Disc 3 even if you specify the location of the extracted Windows SBS 2003 SP1 Disc 3 files. This issue occurs because Windows SBS 2003 SP1 Disc 3 does not contain all the files that are needed to complete the installation of the component.
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Use the Windows SBS 2003 SP1 discs
When you are prompted to insert a Windows SBS 2003 disc, insert the appropriate Windows SBS 2003 SP1 disc.
Method 2: Integrate (slipstream) Windows SBS 2003 SP1 with the original version of Windows SBS 2003
Create a Windows SBS 2003 folder in which Windows SBS 2003 SP1 has been integrated. To do this, follow these steps:
- Download Windows SBS 2003 SP1. To obtain this service pack, click the following link:
- Extract the service pack files from the package that you downloaded in step 1. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the computer that is running Windows SBS 2003, create a folder that is named SBS2003-SP1.
- Open a Command Prompt window, and then change to the directory that contains the Windows SBS 2003 SP1 package. This file is named SBS2003-KB885918-SP1-X86-ENU.EXE.
- Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
A dialog box appears. You are prompted to select a folder for the extracted files.
- Locate and then select the folder that you created in step a. Then, click OK.
The files are extracted to the SBS2003-SP1 folder.
- Copy the whole contents of the SBS\CLIENTAPPS\SHAREPT folder from disk 3 of the Disc of Windows SBS 2003 to the following location:
If you are prompted to insert the Windows SBS 2003 SP1 disc when you next reinstall Windows SBS 2003 components, specify the SBS2003-SP1 folder on the Windows SBS 2003-based computer.
To help determine whether you have discs from the original version of Windows SBS 2003, locate the IE6 folder on the disc.
- In the original version of Windows SBS 2003, the IE6 folder is located on disc 3 in the SBS\ClientApps folder.
- In Windows SBS 2003 SP1, the IE6 folder is located on disc 4 in the SBS\ClientApps folder.
Article ID: 939323 - Last Review: May 21, 2009 - Revision: 2.0
- Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition
|kbprb kbtshoot kberrmsg KB939323|