You have a Web site that is hosted on a server that is running Internet Information Services (IIS) 7.0. When you visit this Web site in a Web browser, you may receive an error message that resembles the following error message:
Server Error in Application "application name"
HTTP Error 404.15 – Not Found
Description of HRESULT
# The operation completed successfully.
This problem occurs because the query string length of the requested URL is longer than the length that is specified in the maxQueryString
property in the ApplicationHost.config file.Note
property is under the requestLimits node, which is under the requestFiltering node.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Click Start, type Notepad in the Start Search box, right-click Notepad, and then click Run as administrator.
Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
- On the File menu, click Open, type %windir%\System32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config in the File name box, and then click Open.
- In the ApplicationHost.config file, locate the requestLimits tag.
- Remove the maxQueryString property. Or, change the value to a value that matches the length of the query string that you are using. By default, the value of the maxQueryString property is 2048.
For example, modify the following code.
<requestLimits maxQueryString="length" />
- Save the ApplicationHost.config file.
Article ID: 942071 - Last Review: October 9, 2007 - Revision: 1.0
- Microsoft Internet Information Services 7.0
|kbexpertiseadvanced kbtshoot kbprb KB942071|