When you configure a Windows Vista-based computer to use machine authentication and to validate the RADIUS server certificate, the computer may be unable to connect to the network.
This problem occurs when the following conditions are true:
- When you configure the network authentication method, you click to select the following check boxes:
- Validate Server Certificate
- Connect to these servers
- You do not enter any server name in the text box under the Connect to these servers check box.
When machine authentication is used, the Onex module does not prompt the user to accept the certificate of the RADIUS server.
To work around this issue, follow these steps:
- Click Start, type services.msc, in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.
- In the Services window, click the Standard tab, right-click Wired AutoConfig, and then click Start to enable the Wired AutoConfig service.
- Close the Services window.
- Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet, click Network and Sharing Center, and then click Manage network connections.
- Right-click the connection for which you want to enable 802.1X authentication, and then click Properties.
- Click the Authentication tab, and then click to select the Enable IEEE 802.1X authentication check box.
- In the Choose a network authentication method list, click Protected EAP (PEAP),
and then click Settings.
- Click to select the Validate Server Certificate check box and the Connect to these servers check box.
- In the text box under the Connect to these servers check box, enter the FQDN of the RADIUS servers with which you want to authenticate.
This behavior is by design.
Article ID: 947219 - Last Review: January 17, 2008 - Revision: 1.1
- Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows Vista Business 64-bit Edition
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Home Basic
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Ultimate
|kbexpertiseadvanced kbtshoot kbprb KB947219|