This article discusses how to disable instant messaging (IM)
in Microsoft Office Communicator 2007.
To disable IM in Communicator 2007, follow these
This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to
modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the
registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps
carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it.
Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information
about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article
number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
- Install the Communicator 2007 update package that is dated October 24, 2008.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the update for Communicator 2007: October 24, 2008
- Configure the DisableIM registry entry. To do this,
follow these steps:
Note After the DisableIM registry entry is set to 1, the following statements are true:
- Click Start, click
Run, type regedit, and then click
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
- On the Edit menu, point to
New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type DisableIM, and then press
- Right-click DisableIM, and then click
- In the Value data box, type
1, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
- The Communicator 2007 user cannot send or receive any IMs.
- The Communicator 2007 user is registered on the server as a
user who has no IM capability.
- The file transfer feature is disabled in Communicator 2007.
Article ID: 954648 - Last Review: October 27, 2008 - Revision: 3.0
- Microsoft Office Communicator 2007
|kbexpertiseinter kbhowto KB954648|