Article ID: 959524 - View products that this article applies to.
RAPID PUBLISHING ARTICLES PROVIDE INFORMATION DIRECTLY FROM WITHIN THE MICROSOFT SUPPORT ORGANIZATION. THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN IS CREATED IN RESPONSE TO EMERGING OR UNIQUE TOPICS, OR IS INTENDED SUPPLEMENT OTHER KNOWLEDGE BASE INFORMATION.
Microsoft has made several architectural changes in the implementation of Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V) 4.5 to ensure that the product is aligned with our roadmap for future innovation. One such change entailed moving the API intercepts from kernel mode into user mode. This change had a side-effect of changing the App-V compatibility with the .NET Framework from previous versions of App-V.
App-V 4.5 continues to be fully compatible with .NET applications. The change in compatibility only manifests itself with the .NET Framework.
This article provides specific guidance for sequencing and using .NET applications with App-V 4.5.
Guidance for sequencing .NET applications with the 4.5 sequencer
Scenario #1: Sequencing applications to be deployed to Windows Vista RTM clients
· A version of .NET that is greater than or equal to the applications’ .NET requirement must be locally installed on the sequencing station
o Example: Windows Vista RTM includes .NET 3.0. If the application that is being sequenced requires a version of .NET that is newer than 3.0 you must install the newer version of .NET on the sequencing workstation before you proceed to sequence the application.
Scenario #2: Sequencing applications to be deployed to Windows Vista SP1 clients
· .NET 3.5 RTM, not .NET 3.5 SP1, can be sequenced successfully on a fully patched Windows Vista SP1 system, no additional installation of .NET is required on the sequencing workstation
Scenario #3: Sequencing applications to be deployed to Windows XP clients
· The version of .NET that is required by the application to be sequenced must be locally installed on the sequencing workstation prior to sequencing the application
Guidance for using .NET with virtual applications sequenced in App-V 4.5
In order to use an application that has a dependency on any version of .NET, it is required that .NET is installed locally on the client.
Scenario #1: A single virtualized application on a client with a .NET dependency
· .NET must be locally installed on that client
· The locally installed .NET version must be greater than or equal to the application’s .NET requirement
Scenario #2: Several virtualized applications on a client with a .NET dependency
· .NET must be locally installed on that client
· The locally installed .NET version must be greater than or equal to the greatest version .NET dependency of all the applications
o Example: If two packages are to be deployed, one with a .NET 2.0 dependency and the other with a .NET 3.0 dependency, in order for both to function correctly, .NET 3.0 must be locally installed.
Exception: If the application has a dependency on .NET 3.5 RTM and it will be deployed to a Vista SP1 system, a local installation of .NET 3.5 on the target system is not required. This exception does not apply to .NET 3.5 SP1.
Support for legacy packages (pre App-V 4.5) that have .NET sequenced inside the package
Packages that were sequenced with APP-V 4.2 or lower that include .NET and will be deployed to 4.5 clients follow the same guidelines as App-V 4.5 sequenced applications:
· The client OS must have .NET locally installed. The installed version must be greater than or equal to the application’s .NET dependency
· Windows Vista RTM includes .NET 3.0 by default, no additional .NET installation is required unless the application requires .NET 3.5 RTM or SP1
· Windows Vista SP1 (fully-patched) includes .NET 3.0 by default, no additional .NET installation is required unless the application requires .NET 3.5 RTM or SP1
· All Windows XP client version require a local installation of .NET because .NET is not included by default on Windows XP systems
In order to
· Sequence .NET on an App-V 4.5 workstation
· Deploy App-V 4.5 packages with .NET dependencies
· Deploy legacy App-V packages that include .NET to App-V 4.5 clients
The following summarizes the requirements of .NET support in App-V 4.5:
Windows XP SP2
· . NET versions 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 (all) dependency: locally install .NET version(s)
Windows Vista (RTM)
· .NET versions 2.0, 3.0 dependency: already installed by default as part of Windows Vista
· .NET versions 3.5 (all) dependency: locally install .NET version(s)
Windows Vista SP1 (with all patches)
· .NET versions 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 RTM dependency: already installed by default as part of Windows Vista SP1 (with all patches)
· .NET versions 3.5 SP1 dependency: locally install .NET version(s)
MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES ABOUT THE SUITABILITY, RELIABILITY OR ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE DOCUMENTS AND RELATED GRAPHICS PUBLISHED ON THIS WEBSITE (THE “MATERIALS”) FOR ANY PURPOSE. THE MATERIALS MAY INCLUDE TECHNICAL INACCURACIES OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS AND MAY BE REVISED AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM AND EXCLUDE ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, AND CONDITIONS WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, OR CONDITIONS OF TITLE, NON INFRINGEMENT, SATISFACTORY CONDITION OR QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE MATERIALS.