By default, Windows SteadyState contains an option that restricts shared computer users (SCUs) from accessing the registry directly. This setting might prevent the user from saving changes to some settings in the Internet Options
dialog box, such as the following:
- General tab: Home page
- Security tab: Security level for this zone, and Enable Protected Mode
- Privacy tab: Sites, Advanced, and Default
- Content tab: AutoComplete
- Programs tab: Default web browser
- Advanced tab: Advanced Internet Explorer settings
The Prevent changes to Internet Explorer registry settings
check box is selected in Windows SteadyState.
When Windows SteadyState is set to prevent changes to the registry, it restricts permission to change the following subkeys:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Search Bar
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache
To resolve this issue, remove the following Internet Explorer registry setting restrictions in Windows SteadyState.Note
When these check boxes are cleared, the user can save changes to some settings in the Internet Options
The system registry contains complex system information that is extremely important to your computer, and an incorrect change to your computer's registry could make your computer inoperable.
- Log on as a Windows SteadyState administrator.
- In the Windows SteadyState main dialog box, under User Settings, select the user profile that you want to change.
- Click the Feature Restrictions tab.
- Under Internet Explorer restrictions, clear the Prevent changes to Internet Explorer registry settings check box.
- Update the desired registry settings.
Note For more information, see the Registry Editor Help file.
After you make the changes that you want to the Internet Explorer registry settings, we recommend that you turn on these restrictions again.
Article ID: 960874 - Last Review: June 18, 2009 - Revision: 1.0
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Home Basic
- Windows Vista Starter
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
|kbsurveynew kbprb KB960874|