Every time that you log on to Windows XP, you receive the following warning message balloon:
This behavior occurs if you have one or more of the following display settings configured on the computer:
- The width of the screen resolution is set to less than 600 pixels.
- The height of the screen resolution is set to less than 600 pixels.
- The color quality of the display is set to less than 15-bit color.
This behavior may occur even if the display settings are the best or highest settings available for your particular display.
To prevent this warning message balloon from appearing every time that you log on to Windows XP, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Click the warning message balloon
- Click the warning message balloon.
- Click to select the In the future, do not show me this dialog box check box.
- Click Yes or No.
Note Click No if the display resolution is already set correctly.
Method 2: Set the ScreenCheck registry setting to NoImportant
This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate and then select one of the following registry subkeys:
Note If the DontShowMeThisDialogAgainName subkey does not exist, follow these steps to create it:
- If you want to prevent the warning message balloon from being displayed for the current user only, select the following registry subkey:
- If you want to prevent the warning message balloon from being displayed for all users, select the following registry subkey:
- In the navigation pane of Registry Editor, right-click Explorer, point to New, and then click Key.
- Type DontShowMeThisDialogAgainName, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click DontShowMeThisDialogAgainName, point to New, and then click String Value.
- Type ScreenCheck, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click ScreenCheck, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type No, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.
This behavior is by design.
When you log on to Windows XP, Windows automatically checks the screen resolution and the color depth of the display. If these display settings are detected as being not within the supported screen resolution and color depth for Windows XP, the warning message balloon that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section is displayed.
Article ID: 961174 - Last Review: September 3, 2009 - Revision: 2.0
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
|kbsettings kbdisplay kberrmsg kbtshoot kbsurveynew kbprb KB961174|