After you apply the following Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 6.0 update on a computer that is running Windows XP, you upgrade the computer to Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3):
MS08-069: Description of the security update for XML Core Services 6.0: November 11, 2008
When you try to install Microsoft SQL Server 2005 in this scenario, you receive the following error message:
Additional error information
Installation of MSXML 6 Service Pack 2 (KB954459) failed because a higher version already exists on the machine. To proceed, uninstall the higher version and then run MSXML 6 Service Pack 2 (KB954459) Setup again.
To have us fix this problem for you, go to the "Fix it for me
" section. If you would rather fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself
Fix it for me
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix this problem
link. Then click Run
in the File Download
dialog box, and follow the steps in this wizard. Notes
Let me fix it myself
- This wizard may be in English only, but the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, you can save the automatic fix to a flash drive or to a CD, and then you can run it on the computer that has the problem.
When SQL Server Setup tries to install MSXML 6.0 SP2, it detects that the version of MSXML 6.0 that is described in Knowledge Base article 954459 is already installed on the computer. Therefore, the validation process indicates that the current version of MSXML 6.0 should not be replaced. This stops the installation of both MSXML 6.0 and SQL Server 2005.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 968749 - Last Review: July 16, 2012 - Revision: 13.0
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard X64 Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition for Itanium-based Systems
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Enterprise X64 Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition for Itanium-based Systems
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition with Advanced Services
|kbsqlsetup kbtshoot kbsurveynew kbprb kbfixme kbmsifixme kbsmbportal KB968749|