Article ID: 969150
RAPID PUBLISHING ARTICLES PROVIDE INFORMATION DIRECTLY FROM WITHIN THE MICROSOFT SUPPORT ORGANIZATION. THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN IS CREATED IN RESPONSE TO EMERGING OR UNIQUE TOPICS, OR IS INTENDED SUPPLEMENT OTHER KNOWLEDGE BASE INFORMATION.
An application which requires Direct3D Retained Mode will not execute on Windows Vista.
Direct3D Retained Mode is a technology introduced in DirectX 3. Ongoing development for this component has ceased, and it has since been deprecated. It was removed from Windows Vista and later due to security concerns.
The following applications are known to rely on Direct3D Retained Mode, and are therefore not compatible with Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008:
* Agile Warrior F-111X (Virgin Interactive / Black Ops Entertainment)
* Banzai Bug (Grolier Interactive / Gravity)
* Boggle (Hasbro Interactive)
* Hyper Rails: Roller Coaster Designer (Pantera)
* IAF - Israeli Air Force (Electronic Arts / Jane's Combat)
* Lego - Rock Raiders (Lego Media / Data Design Int.)
* Militarism (Summitsoft)
* Organic Art Deluxe (Broderbund / Mindscape / The Learning Company)
* Outforce (Strategy First / O3 Games)
* Real Race Professional R/C Car Sim (Duratrax)
Contact the publisher for any updates or a newer version of the application that might provide Windows Vista compatibility.
Note that this list is not exhaustive, and there maybe additional applications that have a dependency on Direct3D Retained Mode.
MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES ABOUT THE SUITABILITY, RELIABILITY OR ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE DOCUMENTS AND RELATED GRAPHICS PUBLISHED ON THIS WEBSITE (THE “MATERIALS”) FOR ANY PURPOSE. THE MATERIALS MAY INCLUDE TECHNICAL INACCURACIES OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS AND MAY BE REVISED AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM AND EXCLUDE ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, AND CONDITIONS WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, OR CONDITIONS OF TITLE, NON INFRINGEMENT, SATISFACTORY CONDITION OR QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE MATERIALS.