Article ID: 969284 - View products that this article applies to.
RAPID PUBLISHING ARTICLES PROVIDE INFORMATION DIRECTLY FROM WITHIN THE MICROSOFT SUPPORT ORGANIZATION. THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN IS CREATED IN RESPONSE TO EMERGING OR UNIQUE TOPICS, OR IS INTENDED SUPPLEMENT OTHER KNOWLEDGE BASE INFORMATION.
You receive a "Help topic not found" error message when doing the following:
1. Install any language version of IE8 on a version Winodws Vista where the OS language does not match that of Internet Explorer 8.
2. Launch Internet Explorer 8
3. Launch Internet Explorer Help - by either hitting F1 or through Help Menu -> Internet Explorer Help
User Example Scenario:
1. User has German Windows Vista Machine with IE7 on it
2. User downloads and installs Internet Explorer 8 - English
3. Upon launching the browser, the User Interface is in English - expected
4. Launching help from within the product results in an error page "Help topic not found"
This may be due to the Vista help framework which does not execute the right fall back logic to show the right Help content. This is still under investigation, more info will be added.
Method 1: Download and Install Internet Explorer 8 Language pack to match the Operating System Language from the Download Center at https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx
As an example, for User scenario above, user would download and install Internet Explorer 8 Language pack in German (mathching the OS Language) from the download center.
Method 2: Install the OS Language pack that matches the language version of Internet Explorer 8.
As an example, user has English Windows Vista and decides to download and use Internet Explorer 8 in German. User will see the right help content; when they also install the Vista German Language pack to match the language version of Internet Explorer 8.
· Internet Explorer 8 LIP languages that install on top of a different version of the Base OS Language (for E.g. IE8 Hindi will install on top of English) are not affected.
· In all of the scenarios above, the users will still see Online help (if opted in to receive online help updates) in the OS language they installed Internet Explorer 8 on.
MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES ABOUT THE SUITABILITY, RELIABILITY OR ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE DOCUMENTS AND RELATED GRAPHICS PUBLISHED ON THIS WEBSITE (THE “MATERIALS”) FOR ANY PURPOSE. THE MATERIALS MAY INCLUDE TECHNICAL INACCURACIES OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS AND MAY BE REVISED AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE.
TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM AND EXCLUDE ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, AND CONDITIONS WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, OR CONDITIONS OF TITLE, NON INFRINGEMENT, SATISFACTORY CONDITION OR QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE MATERIALS.