Microsoft has released the Windows Server Update Services
(WSUS) 3.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2) Dynamic Install for Windows Server 2008. WSUS
enables information technology administrators to fully manage the distribution
of updates that are released through Microsoft Update to computers in their
This article includes information about the contents of the
service pack, links to instructions and system requirements for installation on
supported Windows Server 2008 operating systems by using Server Manager, and
how to determine whether the service pack is installed.
Feature improvements and important software updates in Service Pack 2
- Integration with Windows Server 2008 R2
- Support for the BranchCache feature on Windows Server 2008
- Support for Windows 7 clients
WSUS feature improvements
- Auto-approval rules: Auto-approval rules now include the
ability to specify the approval deadline date and time for all computers or
specific computer groups.
- Update files and languages: Improved handling of language
selection for downstream servers includes a new warning dialog box that appears
when you decide to download updates only for specified languages.
- Easy upgrade: WSUS 3.0 SP2 can be installed as an in-place
upgrade from earlier versions of WSUS and preserves all settings and
approvals. The user interface is compatible between WSUS 3.0 SP1 and SP2 on the
client and the server.
- Reports: New Update and Computer Status reports let you
filter on updates that are approved for installation. You can run these reports from the
WSUS console or use the API to incorporate this functionality into your own
- Stability and reliability fixes for the WSUS 3.0 server,
such as support for IPv6 addresses that are longer than 40 characters.
- The approval dialog now sorts computer groups
alphabetically by group name.
- Computer status report sorting icons are now functional in
- A new release of Windows Update Agent is included with WSUS
3.0 SP2. This new release provides improvements and fixes, such as support for
APIs that are called by a nonlocal system callnoninteractiveteractive
By default, Windows Server 2008 SP2 includes the ability to
install the WSUS Role Service by using Server Manager. This role lets you use
the MMC Server Manager snap-in and wizards to install, configure, and manage
WSUS 3.0 SP2. The dynamic package for WSUS 3.0 SP2 will only install by using
The WSUS 3.0 SP2 package has the following Microsoft
Update detection logic and characteristics:
- Classification: Update
- Supersedes: WSUS 3.0 SP1
- This package is applicable only to the following Windows
Server operating systems with the WSUS-Server Manager integration:
- Windows Server 2008 SP1 with Server
For more information, click the following
article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
An update is available that integrates Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) 3.0 into Server Manager in Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2008 SP2
- Windows Server 2008 R2, x64 edition only
- Applicability rules:
- Is installed = No
- Is installable
- Download Center:
- The WSUS 3.0 SP2 Download Center Web site includes the
RTM Microsoft user license terms.
- Pre-3.0 SP1 versions of WSUS 3.0 are no longer
available for download.
After WSUS 3.0 is detected as installed by Server Manager, it
can be configured and managed within the Server Manager user interface or the
WSUS 3.0 snap-in. To install WSUS 3.0 SP2 on a server that runs Windows Server
2008 SP2 which is being updated by a WSUS 3.0 server, approve the Windows
Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 Dynamic Install for Windows Server 2008, and
then install WSUS role by using Server Manager.
detailed installation instructions, see the WSUS 3.0 SP2 Step by Step Guide at
the following Microsoft Web site:
How to determine whether the service pack is installed
Look for "Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2" in
Add or Remove Programs
or Program Files and
in Control Panel. If "Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2"
does not appear, the service pack is not installed.
cannot use Add or Remove Programs
in Control Panel to remove
only WSUS 3.0 Service Pack 2 because it will also remove all WSUS
To remove WSUS 3.0 SP2 by using Server Manager, follow these
- Log on to the server on which you plan remove WSUS 3.0 SP2
by using an account that is a member of the local Administrators
- Click Start, point to
Administrative Tools, and then click Server
- In the right side pane of the Server
Manager window, in the Roles Summary section, click
- If the Before You Begin page appears,
- On the Select Server Roles page, clear the
Windows Server Update Services check box.
- On the Windows Server Update Services
page, click Next.
- On the Confirm Installation Selections
page, click Remove.
- On the Remove Windows Server Update Services 3.0
SP2 page, select any additional items to be removed, and then click
- Click Finish to exit the wizard when the
WSUS 3.0 SP2 Removal Wizard is finished.
more information about the WSUS 3.0 SP2 Release Notes, visit the following
Microsoft Web site:
Article ID: 972493 - Last Review: August 17, 2012 - Revision: 4.0
- Windows Server 2012 Standard
- Windows Server 2012 Essentials
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1
|kbexpertiseinter kbhowto kbinfo kbsurveynew KB972493|