When you try to install an update for System Center Data Protection Manager, you may receive the following error message:
DPM installation has failed. To troubleshoot the problem, click
When you install an update for Data Protection Manager 2007 or Data Protection Manager 2010, the installation tries to take a backup of the Data Protection Manager database (DPMDB) to the default location that is configured in SQL Server. If this location has insufficient space, the Data Protection Manager update cannot be installed.
Examine the time stamp of the DPMDB backup. The default
backup location for this backup is C:\Program Files\Microsoft
DPM\SQL\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\QFEDPMDB.bak. If the backup does not exist, or if it has
an older time stamp, use either Method 1 or Method 2 to resolve this
The Data Protection Manager upgrade process may change the DPMDB. In such a case, we recommended that you have a backup of the original state of the DPMDB so that you can restore your Data Protection Manager 2007 server or Data Protection Manager 2010 Server if there is a disaster.
Method 1: Change the location where the DPMDB backup is stored
- Examine the size of the DPMDB. The default location of the database is
%Program Files%\Microsoft DPM\DPM\DPMDB. If you have changed the
location of the DPMDB, you can find it in the registry in the following
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection
- Change the default backup location that is configured in SQL Server to a
location that has sufficient space to back up the database.
To change the
location, browse to the following location and enter the new path:
Note In this path, MSSQL.n is the instance number of the SQL instance that Data Protection Manager 2007 or Data Protection Manager 2010 is using. For example, MSSQL.2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\ <MSSQL.n>\MSSQLServer\BackupDirectory
- Run the upgrade again.
Method 2: Skip backing up the DPMDB when the update is installed
- Back up of the DPMDB. To do this, follow these steps:
- At the command prompt, run DPMBackup.exe -db. This is located
at <drive letter>:\Program Files\Microsoft
Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin.
- In the console tree of the backup program, browse to \Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\Database Backups. The file name of the Data Protection Manager database backup is DPMDB.bak.
- At the Windows command prompt, run the following
<DataProtectionManager-KBID.exe> SKIPDBBACKUP=1 /l*v <logfile location> For
DataProtectionManager2007-KB959605.exe SKIPDBBACKUP=1 /l*v
DataProtectionManager2010-KB2250444.exe SKIPDBBACKUP=1 /l*v c:\dpmkb2250444.log
Article ID: 972727 - Last Review: February 24, 2011 - Revision: 5.0
- Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2007
- Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2010
|kbtshoot kbexpertiseinter kbsurveynew kbprb KB972727|