When you try to use Overtype mode in Microsoft Office Word, you discover that Overtype mode is disabled.Note
To use Overtype mode in earlier versions of Word, press INSERT to toggle the mode on and off.
By default, Overtype mode is disabled in Word.
Use one of the following methods to enable Overtype mode.Method 1
- Do one of the following, as appropriate for your version of Word:
- In Word 2010 and Word 2013, click the File tab, and then click Options.
- In Word 2007, click the Office Button icon, and then click Word Options.
- In the Word Options dialog box, click Advanced.
- Do one of the following:
- To enable the INSERT key in order to control Overtype mode, click to select the Use the Insert key to control overtype mode check box.
- To keep Overtype mode always enabled, click to select the Use overtype mode check box.
- Click OK.
- Right-click the Status bar, and then click Overtype. "Insert" is now displayed on the left side of the Status bar.
- To use Overtype mode, click Insert on the Status bar. "Overtype" is now displayed on the left side of the Status bar.
The Status bar is located at the bottom of the Word window.
Article ID: 982946 - Last Review: January 9, 2013 - Revision: 3.0
- Microsoft Word 2013
- Microsoft Word 2010
- Microsoft Office Word 2007
|kbsurveynew kbtshoot kbprb kbexpertiseinter KB982946|