On System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) 2008 or SCVMM 2008 R2, duplicate virtual machines (VMs) may appear in the SCVMM Administrator Console. In this scenario, one of the duplicate VMs has a Missing
status, and the other VM has a different status.
If you try to delete the missing virtual machine, you may receive the following error message:
The VM file vmname.domain.local is already being used by another VM.
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Close the SCVMM Administrator Console.
- Stop the SCVMM service (VMMService.exe) on the SCVMM server.
Make a full backup of the SCVMM database.
- Install Microsoft SQL Management Studio Express on the computer that has the SCVMM database.
- Run SQL Server Management Studio Express, select the SCVMM database, and then run the SQL script that is documented on the following TechNet website:
This script deletes all the missing VMs that have a Missing status from the SCVMM database.
- If the script was successful, you see the following output:
After the script has finished, restart the SCVMM service (VMMService.exe) on the SCVMM server, and then open the SCVMM Administrator Console to verify that the missing VMs were deleted.
To prevent this issue from occurring on System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2, apply the following rollup hotfix:2308590
Description of the System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 hotfix rollup package: September 14, 2010
Article ID: 983839 - Last Review: September 10, 2011 - Revision: 3.0
|kbhowto kbexpertiseadvanced kbsurveynew KB983839|