Support for Windows 98
Download details - Windows 98
- MS05-026: A vulnerability in HTML Help could allow remote code execution
Explains that Microsoft has released security bulletin MS05-026. The security update in MS05-026, security update 896358, fixes a vulnerability in HTML Help that could allow remote code execution.
- Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than 64 GB
When you use Fdisk.exe to partition a hard disk that is larger than 64 GB (64 gigabytes, or 68,719,476,736 bytes) in size, Fdisk does not report the correct size of the hard disk. The size that Fdisk reports is the full size of the hard disk minus 64...
- Exception 0E in Vredir error messages when you open network files
When you open several files that are stored in a shared folder on a network, your computer may generate one of following error messages on a blue screen, you may be unable to continue normally, and you may receive more error messages on blue screens if...
- MS02-006: An Unchecked Buffer in the SNMP Service May Allow Code to Run
If you install the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) service and the service is running on your computer, a malicious user may be able to cause a denial-of-service attack on your computer and the malicious user may be able to run code on your...
- MS03-011: Flaw in the Microsoft VM could enable system compromise
The Microsoft VM is a virtual machine for the Win32operating environment. The Microsoft VM is shipped in most versions of Windows and in most versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer. A new security vulnerability has been reported that affects the...
- Exception 0E in Vredir.vxd during CoCreateInstanceEx() on remote DCOM server
If your network is set up as a workgroup, you have a drive mapped to a Microsoft Windows NT-based server, and you run a Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) program that attempts to start a remote server component on the Windows NT-based server,...
- SGC Connections May Fail from Domestic Clients
Web clients may fail to connect to Web sites that use Server Gated Cryptography (SGC) for strong encryption when a secure connection is required. If either the Internet server or Web client is running Microsoft products, then the connection may fail....
- MS03-030: Unchecked Buffer in DirectX Could Enable System Compromise
DirectX is made up of a set of low-level Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) that is used by Windows programs for multimedia support. The DirectShow technology in DirectX performs client-side audio and video sourcing, manipulation, and rendering....
- MS03-008: Flaw in Windows Script Engine may allow code to run
An attacker may exploit a vulnerability in Windows Script Engine by constructing a Web page that, when visited by a user, runs code of the attacker’s choice with user credentials. The attacker can host the Web page on a Web site or send the page...
- MS04-016: Vulnerability in DirectPlay could allow denial of service
Resolves a newly discovered, privately reported vulnerability in the implementation of the IDirectPlay4 application programming interface (API) of Microsoft DirectPlay that could allow an attacker to cause a DirectPlay program to fail.
- Invalid Universal Plug and Play Request can Disrupt System Operation
By sending a particular set of commands to an affected Windows XP computer, an attacker could gradually deplete resources on the system to the point where performance could be slowed or stopped altogether. There are a number of important restrictions...
- Unchecked Buffer in Universal Plug and Play can Lead to System Compromise for Windows 98
Computers can use the Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) service to discover and use network-based devices. Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) and Microsoft Windows XP include UPnP services, but Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition do not....
- Troubleshooting Distinctive Ring
This article describes how to troubleshoot Distinctive Ring functionality.
- Cannot Browse Network Neighborhood if PDC Is on Separate Subnet
If your Microsoft Windows NT Server-based Primary Domain Controller (PDC) is on a separate subnet and you double-click Entire Network in the Network Neighborhood window, you may receive the following error message: Also, if you try to use the "net...
- UNC Path Can Be Used to Start Programs by Using .chm Files
The HTML Help facility provides the ability to start code by using shortcuts included in HTML Help files. If a compiled HTML Help (.chm) file were referenced by a malicious Web site, it could be used to start code on a visiting user's computer without...
- MS00-005: Default RTF File Viewer Interrupts Normal Program Processing
When you are using a program that calls the default viewer for a Rich Text Format (RTF) file that contains an especially malformed control word in the file header, the program may not work properly or may generate a general protection (GP) fault.
- WMI Scripts Generate "Permission Denied" Error Message
Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) scripts that run on a computer that is running Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition (Me), or Windows 2000 and that connect to a remote Windows XP-based computer may not work correctly, and may...
- MS02-050: Certificate validation flaw might permit identity spoofing
Fixes an earlier security update that caused unexpected error messages. This update fixes that problem and also prevents a newly discovered variant of the original vulnerability.
- Windows 95/98 DHCP Client Modified for RFC2131 Retransmission Compliance
Windows 95 or Windows 98-based computers using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) may occasionally fail to lease an Internet Protocol (IP) address when the network or DHCP server is very busy.
- Windows protection error in NDIS with a CPU that is faster than 2.1 GHz
When you are installing Windows 95 or Windows 98 on a computer that has a CPU that runs at 2.2 gigahertz (GHz) or faster, you may receive the following error message:
- Cannot Install Novell Client32 Software on a Computer with Either the Microsoft Client for Novell Networks or the Microsoft NDS Client Already Installed
When you install the Novell Client32 NetWare client from a NetWare source, you may receive a page fault error message. When this occurs, the client installation is not successful, and all .inf files in the Windows\Inf folder are unavailable. You cannot...
- Windows NT LDAP Connections Remain Open After LDAP Query
When using either Outlook Express or Outlook in Internet Only mode, network connections to an LDAP server are not closed after a "Find People" search. This results in an excessive number of connections being opened on the server.
- How to Limit User Access to Local Computer or Hard Disks with Internet Explorer 4.01
This article describes how to limit access to hard disks on computers running Internet Explorer 4.01 Service Pack 1 (SP1) or Internet Explorer 5 with Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 95 Service Pack 1, Windows 95 OEM Service Release version 1 or 2,...
- Problems Installing Internet Explorer with More Than 4 GB Free Disk Space
You may not be able to install Internet Explorer 4.01 Service Pack 1 (SP1) on a computer with a hard disk that has more than 4 gigabytes (GB) of space available.
- Setting up Windows 98 Client on Small Business Server May Result in IPDETECT General Protection Fault
When you set up the client disk on a computer running Windows 98, you may receive a general protection fault (GP fault) error message in Setup.exe from source IPDETECT while installing the networking options.