Support for Windows 98
Troubleshooting - Windows 98
- Project appears to stop responding when you change the update setting in the Links dialog box
In Microsoft Project, in the Links dialog box, when you click Update Now or you change the Update option, Microsoft Project may either stop responding (hang) or appear to stop responding for several minutes.
- BUG: Unattended Client Installation on Windows 9x Computer Incorrectly Requests Deskecli.bat File
When you use the Sql70cli.bat file on a Microsoft Windows 95 or Microsoft Windows 98-based computer to perform an unattended Client installation, you might receive the following error message: However, the Deskecli.bat file does not exist on the SQL...
- "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error" error message after you install Office XP or an Office XP program
Describes the error messages that you receive after you install Office XP or an Office XP program. To resolve this problem, clean boot the computer by using MoSearch or remove the "Support for Fast Searching" feature.
- You receive an "A required file dhcpcsvc.dll was not found" error message when you start Combat Flight Simulator 3
Describes how to resolve an error message that you receive when you start Combat Flight Simulator 3 on a Windows 98-based computer.
- How to troubleshoot issues that you may experience when you try to install or removing Money
When you try to install or remove Microsoft Money, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms: You receive an error message that resembles one of the following: If you receive one of the following error messages, start with Method 4 in...
- Certain Web sites and HTML Help features may not work after you install security update 896358 or security update 890175
Describes a problem where some Web sites and HTML Help features may not work after you install security update 896358 or security update 890175.
- Error Loading Kernel. You Must Reinstall Windows
When you start Windows, you may receive the following error message: After you receive this error message, Windows quits.
- UDP broadcast forwarding by Cisco's IP Helper
User Datagram Protocol (UDP) broadcasts are transformed into directed datagrams. Upon inspection of the media access control address, network packets have been transformed from the expected broadcast address (FFFFFFFF) to a specific media access...
- Unable to remove Read-Only attribute from folder
You may be unable to remove the Read-Only attribute from a folder using Windows Explorer. In addition, some programs may display error messages when you try to save files to the folder.
- Image Previews Not Displayed in Windows Explorer
When you click an image icon in Windows Explorer, the picture preview may not be displayed in the left pane. NOTE : Previews are available only if you have the View As Web Page option enabled for the folder that contains the image file.
- Quick Launch Toolbar Icons Are Missing or Unavailable
When you view the Quick Launch toolbar, icons may be missing or unavailable, and you may be unable to click the Toolbars command when you right-click the taskbar.
- Troubleshooting "Invalid Product Key" Error Message During Setup
When you type your product key during the installation of Windows 95 or Windows 98, you may receive the following error message:
- Disk Defragmenter Hangs After Choosing Disk to Defragment
The Disk Defragmenter tool may stop responding (hang) after you choose a disk to defragment.
- Computer Battery Power May Drain Faster with USB Device Attached
Battery-powered computers that use Advanced Power Management (APM) or Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) may experience increased power consumption leading to a more rapid drain of battery power when a Universal Serial Bus (USB) device...
- Shortcut key for shortcut does not work
You are unable to run a shortcut by pressing its shortcut key.
- Specific PC Card Does Not Function with the WDM Audio Driver
When you use Windows Driver Model (WDM) audio drivers on a Windows 98-based computer, a PC Card device that uses input/output (I/O) address 0x220-0x22F may not work. When this occurs, I/O address 0x220-0x22F may not be listed for use in Device Manager....
- Err Msg: Error Defragmenting Drive <X>. Windows Could Not...
When you run Disk Defragmenter (Defrag.exe), you may receive the following error message: Note that the "ID No: DEFRAG005" portion of the error message may be replaced by "ID No: DEFRAG006."
- Computer Speed and Performance May Decrease
Under some conditions, your computer may run slowly.
- Troubleshooting Windows 98 Startup Problems
This article lists troubleshooting steps you can use if your computer stops responding (hangs), or you receive an error message, such as a fatal exception error message or an invalid VxD error message. This article also provides information about how...
- The Procdb.exe File Generates Errors in Windows 2000 and Windows 98
During a restart or during normal operation of Windows 2000 or Windows 98, you may receive the following error message:
- "Invalid Page Fault in Module Urlmon.dll" Error Message When Starting Internet Explorer
When you attempt to open Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message:
- Cannot print in Windows
You may experience one or more of the following printing-related symptoms: You are unable to print from Windows-based programs, but you are able to print from MS-DOS-based programs (such as Edit.com). If you attempt to print from WordPad, you receive...
- How to Determine the Source of a File
This article provides general guidelines about how to determine the source of a file.
- "USB Controller Bandwidth Exceeded" error message when you stream video through a USB camera
Describes ways to work around the bandwidth limitations of a USB device when you use a USB camera to stream video or audio.
- No Mouse Pointer After You Upgrade Dell Inspiron 7000 From Windows 98 to Windows 2000
After upgrading a Dell Inspiron 7000 portable computer from Windows 98 to Windows 2000, you may find that there is no mouse pointer.