Systems Management Server 2.0 Solution Center
how-to articles - Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0
- Antivirus programs may contribute to file backlogs in SMS 2.0, SMS 2003 and Configuration Manager 2007
Certain antivirus programs may contribute to file backlogs in the following directories: The SMS\Inboxes directory on Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) site servers. The SMS_CCM\ServiceData directory on Microsoft SMS Management Points. These...
- SMS: How to Use a Non-Domain Administrator Service Account
In Systems Management Server (SMS) 2.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2) and later, administrators can set up the SMS Service account as a non-domain administrator in both Microsoft Windows NT 4.0-based and Microsoft Windows 2000-based domains. For details about...
- How to use Systems Management Server to deploy Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2
Describes how to deploy Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 by using SMS 2003 or by using SMS 2.0 with SP4.
- How to install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) by using Systems Management Server
Describes how to use Systems Management Server to deploy Windows XP Service Pack 2 to Windows XP clients. This article assumes that you have an understanding of SMS and a working knowledge of software distribution.
- SMS: How to Obtain and Install Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack 3
This article describes how to upgrade Systems Management Server (SMS) 2.0 with Service Pack 3 (SP3).
- How to Obtain the Latest Systems Management Server 2.0 Service Pack
Microsoft uses service packs to distribute bug fixes. Service packs keep a product current. Service packs include updates, and may include administration tools, drivers, and additional components. These items are conveniently bundled in a service pack...
- SMS: Microsoft Installer Programs and Systems Management Server 2.0
Microsoft Windows Installer is an installation technology that streamlines the program installation process and offers continued resiliency for programs, including the ability to install additional features on demand, automatically repair programs,...
- SMS: License Requirements for Servers and Clients That Are Using SMS
This article answers frequently asked questions about the licensing requirements for Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) version 2.0 for both client and server computers.
- INF: SMS 2.0 Evaluation and SQL Server 7.0 Evaluation
When you install an evaluation version of Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0, Setup also installs a 120-day evaluation version of SQL Server 7.0. If you decide to purchase and install the licensed version of Systems Management Server, you must...
- How to download localized Catalog files for the Security Update Inventory Tool in SMS 2.0 and in SMS 2003
Describes how to modify the Download.ini file to obtain localized versions of the catalog file for the Security Update Inventory Tool in both SMS 2.0 and SMS 2003.
- How to obtain the latest Systems Management Server 2003 service pack
Contains information about how to obtain the latest service pack for Systems Management Server 2003.
- How to obtain and use the MS04-028 Enterprise Update Scanning Tool in environments that use Systems Management Server 2003 and Systems Management Server 2.0
Describes a new software update for SMS 2003 that helps detect the clients that need Critical Security Update MS04-028. Includes instructions for installing the new software update.
- SMSAPM32 and RTVSCAN Use High Amount of CPU
If RTVSCAN (Symantec Anti Virus' AutoProtect feature) is running, when a SMSAPM32 cycle starts, SMSAPM32 may use much more of the CPU than usual. Frequently, it may use 100% of the CPU for a period of time.
- How to identify SMS Executive process threads that are responsible for high CPU use on an SMS site server
Describes how to troubleshoot the SMS Executive process when one or more of the SMS Executive threads is causing high CPU use on an SMS 2.0 site server or on a SMS 2003 site server.
- SMS: Keywords List for Searching
This article contains a list of keywords that you can use to search for articles related to Systems Management Server in the Microsoft Knowledge Base using the search engine found at the following Online Support Web page: Note that the first keyword in...
- SMS: Information on Scaling Software Metering
The purpose of this article is to provide information on scaling software metering for medium to larger sized Systems Management Server (SMS) 2.0 sites.
- SMS: Client Requirements for Remote Control
Several steps must be taken to prepare clients for Remote Tools. Remote Tools can only be installed on the following clients: Microsoft Windows NT 3.51, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows for Workgroups, or Windows 3.11....
- SMS: How SMS Uses the SMS_DEF.MOF in Hardware Inventory
In Systems Management Server, clients use the SMS_DEF.MOF file to determine what information will be collected during the next hardware inventory. The SMS_DEF.MOF file can be found on Windows 95, Windows 98, and Window NT systems in the...
- SMS: Customizing the Systems Management Server Administrator Console
In Microsoft Systems Management Server version 2.0, the Systems Management Server Administrator console is a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in that can be customized by adding specific Console Tree Items (for example, Collections). Using...
- SMS: How to Manage the Deletion of Aged Status Messages
The purpose of this article is to provide an in-depth look at how aged status messages are handled and how to manage them.
- SMS: Required Hotfixes Before Installing SMS 2.0 SP2
When you prepare your Systems Management Server (SMS) 2.0 hierarchy for an upgrade to SMS 2.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2), you may need to apply two specific updates to every SMS 2.0 site server in your existing hierarchy. Please review this article...
- SMS: Systems Management Server Software Development Toolkit FAQ
The released version of the Systems Management Server Software Development Kit (SDK) for version 2.0 is now available for download as part of the platform SDK. This product was previously named "SMS Toolkit" in its Beta forms, and this release directly...
- SMS: Support Utilities Updated in Service Pack 2
This article provides a brief introduction to the Systems Management Server (SMS) Support utilities that are available with SMS Service Pack 2 (SP2).
- SMS: How to Remove a Systems Management Server 2.0 Client
There are four methods for initiating the removal of the Systems Management Server client software from a client: Run the SMSMAN wizard, and select the Remove Systems Management Components check box. Modify the client's registry to add a removal value....
- Troubleshooting connectivity to the Systems Management Server site database
This article provides information on troubleshooting connectivity to a Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 site database using the Systems Management Server Administrator console. Systems Management Server 2.0 uses a combination of the following...
Additional Sites & Related Resources