Support for Windows Millennium Edition (ME)
how-to articles - Windows Millennium Edition
- Description and Availability of MSN Messenger Service
MSN Messenger Service is an instant messaging program that tells you when your friends are online so that you can send an instant message to a friend or "talk" with several friends at once.
- Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program
Describes how to perform a clean startup procedure to prevent background programs from interfering with games or programs. Explains how to perform clean startup in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.
- You cannot open remote content by using the InfoTech protocol after you install security update 896358, security update 840315, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
Describes a problem where you cannot open remote content by using the InfoTech protocol after you install security update 896358, security update 840315, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1.
- How to Uninstall Windows Millennium Edition
This article describes how to uninstall Windows Millennium Edition (Me). This article also describes how to uninstall Windows Me if Windows will not start. This article refers to an old version of Windows. If you need help about how to install,...
- Limitations of FAT32 File System
This article discusses limitations of the FAT32 file system with Windows operating systems.
- How to Manually Remove Programs from the Add/Remove Programs List
This article describes how to manually remove items from the Add/Remove Programs tool if the item is still displayed after you try to remove the item from Add/Remove Programs.
- Syntax for the RunOnceEx Registry Key
The Windows Desktop Update component implements the RunOnceEx registry key that provides the functionality described in this article. The Windows Desktop Update component is included with Windows 98 and Windows 2000. You can also install the Windows...
- Command-Line Parameters for the Scandisk Tool
This article lists the command-line parameters for the Scandisk tool (Scandisk.exe) in Windows 98, and Windows Millennium Edition (Me). Note : The Scandisk switches that are provided are not meant to be run within the Windows operating system. To run...
- Description of the Different Advanced Power Management States
This article describes the different Advanced Power Management (APM) states.
- Windows registry information for advanced users
Describes the Windows registry and provides information about how to edit it.
- List of BIOS Manufacturer Web Sites Part 2
This article provides a list of Web sites for Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) manufacturers. This information may be useful for obtaining BIOS updates or other related information. NOTE : This list may not include all BIOS manufacturers. Note that...
- Contents of the Windows Msdos.sys File
The Windows Setup program creates a file called Msdos.sys in the root folder and sets the file with the Read-Only, System, and Hidden attributes. Unlike the Msdos.sys file in MS-DOS, this file is a text file. It contains a [Paths] section that lists...
- How to Disable the Feature That Allows CD-ROMs and Audio CDs to Run Automatically
This article describes how to disable the feature that allows CD-ROMs and audio compact discs (CDs) to run automatically when you insert them in your CR-ROM drive.
- How to use Winipcfg to view TCP/IP settings
This article describes how to use the Winipcfg tool to review your current TCP/IP network protocol settings. This can be useful when you are troubleshooting problems, such as problems connecting to your Internet provider.
- List of articles about the Disk Defragmentor tool
This article provides a list of articles that relate to the Disk Defragmentor tool.
- General USB Troubleshooting in Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me
This article describes general troubleshooting tips for Universal Serial Bus (USB) devices in Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Millennium Edition (Me).
- Description of the CBSS\Hacks Registry Key
You can override selected default behaviors of the CardBus Socket Services (Cbss.vxd) driver by adding values under the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\CBSS\Hacks
- Virus Alert About the w32.Myparty@mm "My Party" Worm Virus
The w32.Myparty@mm virus is a mass-mailing e-mail worm that sends e-mail messages to everyone in the Windows Address Book and by searching for e-mail addresses in Microsoft Outlook Express Inboxes and folders.
- How to redistribute SAPI 5.1 core components
This article discusses how to redistribute the Speech API core components.
- Virus Hoax: Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java (Jdbgmgr.exe) Is Not a Virus
There is a virus hoax that advises customers to delete a valid Windows file that is named Jdbgmgr.exe. This file is the Microsoft Debugger Registrar for Java. If you receive the e-mail message that is listed in the "More Information" section of this...
- Common questions about the FAT32 file system
This article contains common questions and answers about the FAT32 file system in Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2 (OSR2), Windows 98, and Windows Millennium Edition (Me). If your specific question is not addressed in this article, see the "Search the...
- Troubleshooting Device Conflicts with Device Manager
This article lists steps you can use to troubleshoot hardware configuration problems by using Device Manager. You can use Device Manager to examine and change software-configurable devices. Note that if your hardware device uses jumper pins or dip...
- How to troubleshoot common problems that occur when a Windows 98-based or Windows Millennium Edition-based computer cannot read a CD or a DVD
This article describes how you can troubleshoot CD-ROM or DVD-ROM optical disc read issues. The steps in this article generally apply to compact disc recordable (CD-R) and compact disc re-writable (CD-RW) drives. Often a drive can read most but not all...
- Virus Alert About the "Frethem" Virus
The W32.Frethem.J@mm and W32.Frethem.K@mm worms are mass-mailer worms that are variants of the W32.Frethem.B@mm worm.
- How To Call GetNetworkParams/GetAdaptersInfo From Visual Basic
This article illustrates how to programmatically retrieve IP configuration information similar to the IPCONFIG.EXE utility. It demonstrates how to use the IP Helper APIs GetNetworkParams() and GetAdaptersInfo() from Visual Basic. The libraries called...