Support for Windows Millennium Edition (ME)
Troubleshooting - Windows Millennium Edition
- "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error" error message after you install Office XP or an Office XP program
Describes the error messages that you receive after you install Office XP or an Office XP program. To resolve this problem, clean boot the computer by using MoSearch or remove the "Support for Fast Searching" feature.
- How to troubleshoot issues that you may experience when you try to install or removing Money
When you try to install or remove Microsoft Money, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms: You receive an error message that resembles one of the following: If you receive one of the following error messages, start with Method 4 in...
- Certain Web sites and HTML Help features may not work after you install security update 896358 or security update 890175
Describes a problem where some Web sites and HTML Help features may not work after you install security update 896358 or security update 890175.
- Image Previews Not Displayed in Windows Explorer
When you click an image icon in Windows Explorer, the picture preview may not be displayed in the left pane. NOTE : Previews are available only if you have the View As Web Page option enabled for the folder that contains the image file.
- Unable to remove Read-Only attribute from folder
You may be unable to remove the Read-Only attribute from a folder using Windows Explorer. In addition, some programs may display error messages when you try to save files to the folder.
- Error Loading Kernel. You Must Reinstall Windows
When you start Windows, you may receive the following error message: After you receive this error message, Windows quits.
- Disk Defragmenter Hangs After Choosing Disk to Defragment
The Disk Defragmenter tool may stop responding (hang) after you choose a disk to defragment.
- Troubleshooting "Invalid Product Key" Error Message During Setup
When you type your product key during the installation of Windows 95 or Windows 98, you may receive the following error message:
- Computer Battery Power May Drain Faster with USB Device Attached
Battery-powered computers that use Advanced Power Management (APM) or Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) may experience increased power consumption leading to a more rapid drain of battery power when a Universal Serial Bus (USB) device...
- The Laptop Computer May Be Unable to Enter the C3 Processor Power-Saving State
Your laptop computer may be unable to enter the C3 processor power-saving state.
- Computer Speed and Performance May Decrease
Under some conditions, your computer may run slowly.
- Cannot print in Windows
You may experience one or more of the following printing-related symptoms: You are unable to print from Windows-based programs, but you are able to print from MS-DOS-based programs (such as Edit.com). If you attempt to print from WordPad, you receive...
- "USB Controller Bandwidth Exceeded" error message when you stream video through a USB camera
Describes ways to work around the bandwidth limitations of a USB device when you use a USB camera to stream video or audio.
- Winshow browser hijacker causes errors and unwanted Web sites to open in Internet Explorer
Describes how to remove the Winshow browser hijacker from a Windows-based computer.
- How to Determine the Source of a File
This article provides general guidelines about how to determine the source of a file.
- An Error Message May Be Displayed When a Sound Blaster Live Driver Is Installed
During a sound event, or when you start or shut down your computer, you may receive the following error message:
- Rtfixmon Causes an Error Message During Shutdown
When you shut down your computer, you may receive the following error message: Although you may be prompted to choose Wait , Shutdown or Ignore , you may not be able to select any of these choices, and your computer may stop responding (hang) after it...
- General Protection Fault Error Message Opening Control Panel
When you open Control Panel, you may receive the either of the following error messages: -OR- After you receive one of these error messages, your computer may stop responding (hang). This may also occur in Safe mode.
- Unable to Access Certain System Settings on a Windows-Based Computer
You may observe the following behavior on your Windows-based computer: In Control Panel, the following icons may be missing or disabled: System Display Modem Network Multimedia NOTE : In Control Panel, if you click Multimedia , you may receive the...
- Err Msg: WAOL Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module MSVCRT.DLL
After you type your password to log on to America Online using the preview version of the America Online 4.0 software on the Windows 98 CD-ROM, you may receive the following error message:
- Error message when you open a message that is signed by a digital certificate that is issued by a third-party certification authority in Windows 98 or in Windows Millennium Edition: "Security Alert"
Describes a security message that you receive, when you open the message which is signed by the digital certificate issued by a third-party Certification Authority in Windows 98 or in Windows Millennium Edition.
- How to troubleshoot general printing problems in Windows 98 and in Windows Millennium Edition (Me) when you are using Office products
Describes how to troubleshoot printing problems in Windows 98 and in Windows Millennium Edition (Me) when you are using Office.
- Err Msg: A Fatal Exception 0E Has Occurred at 0028:C02A0201...
While you are installing Windows and Setup restarts your computer for the last time, you may receive the following error message on a blue screen:
- Info ImageReader ISA Model FB613 Datasource Causes GPFs in Kodak Imaging
Using Kodak Imaging software (a component of Windows) to acquire images results in General Protection Fault (Fatal Exception 0D) errors.
- Computer Stops Responding or an Error Message Is Displayed When Running ScanDisk or Disk Defragmenter
When you run ScanDisk, Disk Defragmenter, or other hard disk tools, such as Symantec Norton Disk Utilities 2000, your computer may stop responding (hang). Or, ScanDisk, Disk Defragmenter, or other hard disk tools may run, but you may receive the...