Speech Recognition in Microsoft Word 2002
- WD2002: Multiple Microphones Give Poor Results with Speech Recognition Feature
You may experience problems with speech recognition, such as poor recognition, under the following conditions: You install a different microphone from the one that you used to create your speech recognition profile and to train with. -or-You add...
- WD2002: Speech Recognition Inserts Text, Responds to Commands Without Microphone
Even though you do not have a microphone physically installed on your computer, speech recognition may insert text into documents or respond to commands. The microphone is on and speech recognition is enabled. When the Microphone button on the...
- WD2002: Speech Recognition Stops Responding After You Delete a Word from the Speech Tools
When you delete a word from your custom speech recognition lexicon in Microsoft Word, the speech recognition feature stops responding (hangs). To delete a word from the custom lexicon, follow these steps: On the Language bar, click Tools . If the Tools...
- OFFXP: You Are Prompted to Install Speech Recognition Components After Upgrade from Beta 2 to RC1
When you open an Office XP program after you upgrade from Beta 2 to RC1, you are prompted to install the speech recognition components. If you select No , the speech recognition components begin installing anyway. If you select Cancel , the program may...
- WD2002: Sound Recorder No Longer Records from Microphone After You Install Speech Recognition
After you install speech recognition and start Microsoft Word, Microsoft Windows Sound Recorder no longer records sounds from the microphone. Also, when you start Sound Recorder, you may receive one of the following error messages (or a similar...
- OFFXP: Dictation Mode Does Not Start When You Start Speech Recognition
After you complete the training for your speech recognition profile and then click Dictation on the Language bar to start dictating, the speech recognition bubble displays "Starting Speech". However, Dictation mode does not start and does not...
- WD2002: Speech Recognition Does Not Function If NetMeeting Is Running
The speech recognition feature may appear to be turned on in Microsoft Word, but it does not function when NetMeeting is running. The sound card is not a sharable resource. If the Enable full-duplex audio so I can speak while receiving audio...
- Office program stops responding when you use speech recognition
When you use the speech-recognition feature in an Office program, you may receive the following error message where is one of the Office programs listed at the beginning of this article. When you view the data in the error report, the report contains...
- How to troubleshoot speech recognition problems in Word 2002
Describes the most common steps for troubleshooting speech recognition problems in Word. This article also lists the system requirements for speech recognition.
- Description of the speech recognition and handwriting recognition methods in Word 2002
Describes the new speech recognition and handwriting recognition methods of input included in Word 2002. This article discusses how to install, configure, turn on, and turn off the speech recognition and handwriting recognition methods in Word 2002.
- Error message when you start Word: "Error 1402. Speech recognition files can't install files due to installer 1450."
Describes an issue where you receive the error message "Error 1402. Speech recognition files can't install files due to installer 1450." when you start Word 2003, Word 2003, or Word 2000. Also describes how to resolve this issue.
- WD2002: Cannot Change Dictionary Selection by Using Speech Recognition
When you try to use the Voice Command feature to select or clear the dictionary selection in the Dictionary list of the Custom Dictionaries dialog box, nothing happens.
- WD2002: You Are Prompted to Train Speech Profile Although You Already Trained It
When you click Speech on the Tools menu in Word 2002, the dialog box appears, with the following instructions: To increase the accuracy and reliability of speech recognition, you must first: 1. Adjust your microphone. 2. Train Office for speech...
- WD2002: Error Message: "Could not initialize volume meter..." When Configuring Microphone
During initial setup of the microphone for speech recognition, erratic behavior or errors may occur if there are sounds playing through the sound card. This includes sounds played from a compact disc, game, or a Microsoft Agent character. For...
- WD2002: Blue Bar Does Not Highlight All Text Before Wizard Advances to Next Page
When you use speech-recognition training in Microsoft Word, the dark blue highlighting bar may not finish highlighting all of the text before the wizard advances to the next page of text.
- WD2002: Speech Is Selected Even Though Microphone Wizard Did Not Work
When you attempt to install the speech recognition feature in Office XP, and the Microphone Wizard installation is not completed because you do not have a microphone correctly installed, Speech is nonetheless selected on the Tools menu, and the...
- WD2002: Speech Balloon Does Not Display Fraction Characters
Speech recognition is a feature that allows you to dictate text into a Microsoft Word document using Dictate mode. In Voice Command mode, you can select menu, toolbar, and dialog box items by using your voice. When you use voice commands to select a...
- WD2002: Cannot Dictate an @ Symbol When You Create an E-Mail Address
In Microsoft Word, when you use the Speech command on the Tools menu, and you attempt to dictate an e-mail address such as firstname.lastname@example.org, the speech recognition software creates the following text: Joseph at Microsoft.com
- WD2002: Office Speech Training Video Not Displayed on Windows 98
After you install and configure speech recognition, the Office Speech Training Video starts, but no video is displayed. A blue background appears in the Internet Explorer window and the sound portion of the video is heard.
- WD2002: Cannot Use Voice Commands to Change Items on the "AutoFormat As You Type" Tab
When you try to use voice commands to select or to clear dialog box items on the tab of the AutoCorrect dialog box, nothing happens. You can use voice commands to select or clear dialog box items on the other tabs of the AutoCorrect dialog box.
- WD2002: Some Voice Commands Do Not Work When Office Assistant Is Shown
When the Office Assistant is displayed and you use voice commands, certain commands may not work as expected. For example: Buttons on the Language bar may not respond to voice commands. -or- Dialog boxes that you open with voice commands may appear...
- WD2002: Speech Feature Completes the Translation of a Phrase Before Displaying the Text in a Document
When you use the Speech feature of Microsoft Word to dictate text into your document, the text may not appear as quickly as you expect, nor as quickly for a long phrase as it does when you speak many shorter phrases.
- WD2002: Buttons Do Not Change to Reflect Template Views When You Use Speech Commands
When you use voice commands to switch between the Large Icons , Lists , and Details views of the templates in the Templates dialog box, the status of the buttons that correspond to those commands does not change to reflect the template view that...
- WD2002: Text Is Typed by Office Assistant Sounds When Microphone Is Turned off or Unplugged
Even though your microphone is turned off or unplugged, sounds made by the Office Assistant cause text to be typed into your document.
- WD2002: Office Assistant Does Not Respond to Voice Commands
You are unable to dismiss messages from the Office Assistant using Voice Command mode in Microsoft Word. For example, when you say "File, Close" while an unsaved document is open, an Office Assistant balloon appears with the following message: However,...
- WD2002: Cannot Select Items in the Back List by Using Voice Command
In Microsoft Word 2002, when you attempt to use voice commands to move back through selections made in the Open dialog box, nothing happens. You can use voice commands to make selections on the Places bar of the Open dialog box. When you say "back,"...
- WD2002: Voice Commands "Show" and "Show Hide" Don't Work in Word
You are unable to use the voice commands "show" and "show hide" to click the Show/Hide button on the Standard toolbar.
- WD2002: Some Voice Commands Do Not Work
When you use some voice commands, nothing happens. This behavior occurs when you use the following voice commands: Uppercase Delete Last Word Move to start of document Move to top of document Go to beginning of document Go to start of document Go...
- WD2002: Word Spells Out Numbers During Dictation
When you dictate a number, Word may spell out the number instead of inserting the numeral or numerals. This functionality is by design in Microsoft Word. When you dictate a number that is less than 20, Word spells out the number by default....
- WD2002: Text Is Spontaneously Generated in Document or Dialog Boxes
You may experience either or both of the following symptoms: After you open a Word 2002 document, text may spontaneously appear in your document.When you work with dialog boxes, text may spontaneously appear in the dialog box. This behavior may...
- Frequently asked questions about Ctfmon.exe
Answers some of the frequently asked questions about the purpose and functionality of Ctfmon.exe. Ctfmon.exe is a file that runs in the background when you run an Office XP program. It runs even after you quit all Office programs.
- "Compile error in hidden module: Main" error message when you try to save a document in Word
When you try to save a document in Microsoft Word, you may receive the following error message:
- Changes to default language settings are not retained in Word
Describes a problem that occurs where the changes that are applied to the default input language return to the original settings when you restart Word.
- Description of new features in Word 2002
Provides general information about key new features in Word 2002 and tips for applying the features to your work. The key features include new ways to format documents, collaborative document creation, and speech and handwriting recognition.