If you're planning to sell or gift your Windows 10 device or Xbox One console, here are some things to do to make sure that you have removed all your personal info.
For a Windows 10 device
First, back up any info that you want to save and then reset your device:
- Select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Backup > Add a drive, and then choose an external drive.
- Once you've backed up the info you need, select the Start button, select Settings > Update and security > Recovery.
- Under Reset this PC, select Get started, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
Once you've reset your device, remove it from your device list. Sign in to account.microsoft.com/devices, select Manage device limits, find the device you want to remove, and then select Remove.
If your device was lost or stolen, use the Find my device feature to locate and lock it remotely. For more info, see Find and lock a lost Windows device.
For an Xbox One console
First, remove your Microsoft account and then reset your console:
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Select System > Settings > Account > Remove accounts.
- Select the account that you want to remove, and then select Remove to confirm.
- Once you've removed your Microsoft account, reset your console to factory defaults on Xbox One.
Now that your console is reset, remove it from your device list. Sign in to account.microsoft.com/devices, select Manage device limits, find the Xbox One console you want to remove, and then select Remove.
Find out what to do if your Xbox gets stolen.