We've noticed some unusual activity on your account. To help protect you from potential fraud or abuse, we've temporarily locked your account. We know this is frustrating, but we can help you get back into your account with just a few steps.
Unlock your account
To unlock your account, you must enter the security code provided in the text message from Microsoft. To get the text message, you must have a phone that supports text messaging. If your phone doesn't support text messaging, you can ask a friend or family member to use their phone. Microsoft doesn't save this phone number, so the phone number you use to receive this text message doesn't need to be associated with your account.
Follow these steps to unlock your account:
- Go to https://account.microsoft.com and sign in to your locked account.
- Enter a phone number to request a security code be sent to you via text message. This can be any phone that can receive text messages.
- After the text arrives, enter the security code into the web page.
- Change your password to complete the unlocking process. Use the tips in Help protect your Microsoft account to create a strong password.
Problems with the security code
The quickest way to get your account unlocked is online by requesting and then entering a security code. If you haven’t tried unlocking your account online, we recommend you start there.
- If you didn't receive your security code at the phone number you entered, try again or try a different number.
- If your security code doesn't work, make sure you enter the numbers in the body of the message, and not the numbers in the header.