The Fixed Lifecycle Policy for Microsoft business, developer and desktop operating systems applies to many products currently available through retail purchase or volume licensing and offers a minimum of:
- 10 years of support (a minimum of five years Mainstream Support followed by five years Extended Support) at the supported service pack level for business, developer, and desktop operating system products. To be eligible for support, customers may be required to deploy the latest update. See the Lifecycle product search for specific details.
- Five years of Mainstream Support at the supported service pack level for consumer and multimedia products.
Microsoft is committed to providing products with improved security. Although we strive to remove vulnerabilities during development, software vulnerabilities remain a fact today and we must be prepared to respond when they are discovered.
The Fixed Lifecycle Policy does not apply to all products. To see the specific support and servicing start and end dates by applicable product, go to the lifecycle product search.
Lifecycle phases for business, developer, desktop operating systems, consumer and multimedia software
|Type of support||Mainstream Support||Extended Support||Beyond End of Support|
|Request to change product design and features||Available||Not available||Not available|
|Security updates||Available||Available||Available via Extended Security Update Program|
|Non-security updates||Available||Available via Unified Support||Not available|
1 Self-Help Online Support is available throughout a product's lifecycle and for a minimum of 12 months after the product reaches the end of its support. Microsoft online knowledge base articles, FAQs, troubleshooting tools, and other resources, are provided to help customers resolve common issues.
2 Go here to learn more. Extended Security Update program required.
- Incident support (no-charge incident support, paid incident support, support charged on an hourly basis, support for warranty claims)
- Security update support
- The ability to request non-security updates
- Paid support4
- Security updates at no additional cost
- Ability to request non-security fixes for select products, for eligible customers.5
- Microsoft will not accept requests for warranty support, design changes, or new features during the Extended Support phase.
- Extended Support is not available for consumer, consumer hardware, or multimedia products.
- Enrollment in a paid support program may be required to receive these benefits for certain products.
The information on this page is subject to the Microsoft Policy Disclaimer and Change Notice. Return to this site periodically to review any such changes.