IMPORTANT Verify that you have installed the required updates listed in the How to get this update section before installing this update.
Improvements and fixes
This security update includes improvements and fixes that were a part of update KB4516048 (released September 24, 2019) and addresses the following issues:
- Addresses an issue that may fail to disable VBScript in Internet Explorer by default after installing KB4507437 (Preview of Monthly Rollup) or KB4511872 (Internet Explorer Cumulative Update) and later.
- Security updates to Windows Authentication, Microsoft JET Database Engine, Windows Kernel, Internet Information Services, the Microsoft Scripting Engine, and Windows Server.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
Known issues in this update
Updates for Windows released October 8, 2019 or later provide protections, tracked by CVE-2019-1318, against an attack that could allow unauthorized access to information or data within TLS connections. This type of attack is known as a man-in-the-middle exploit. Windows might fail to connect to TLS clients and servers that do not support Extended Master Secret for resumption (RFC 7627). Lack of RFC support might cause one or more of the following errors or logged events:
|For information, see KB4528489.|
How to get this update
Before installing this update
You must install the updates listed below and restart your device before installing the latest Rollup. Installing these updates improves the reliability of the update process and mitigates potential issues while installing the Rollup and applying Microsoft security fixes.
- The March 12, 2019 servicing stack update (SSU) (KB4490628). To get the standalone package for this SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog.
- The latest SHA-2 update (KB4474419) released September 10, 2019. If you are using Windows Update, the latest SHA-2 update will be offered to you automatically. For more information on SHA-2 updates, see 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support requirement for Windows and WSUS.
- The latest SSU (KB4516655). If you are using Windows Update, the latest SSU will be offered to you automatically. To get the standalone package for the latest SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog.
Install this update
|Release Channel||Available||Next Step|
|Windows Update and Microsoft Update||Yes||None. This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update.|
|Microsoft Update Catalog||Yes||To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.|
|Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)||Yes|| |
This update will automatically synchronize with WSUS if you configure Products and Classifications as follows:
Product: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1Classification: Security Updates
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for update 4519976.