IMPORTANT We have been evaluating the public health situation and understand the impact this is having on many of our customers. To help ease some of the burdens customers are facing, we are going to delay the scheduled end of service date for the Home, Pro, Pro Education, Pro for Workstations, and IoT Core editions of Windows 10, version 1809 to November 10, 2020. This means devices will receive monthly security updates only from May to November. The final security update for these editions of Windows 10, version 1809 will be released on November 10, 2020 instead of May 12, 2020.
Note This release also contains updates for Microsoft HoloLens (OS Build 17763.1282) released June 9, 2020. Microsoft will release an update directly to the Windows Update Client to improve Windows Update reliability on Microsoft HoloLens that have not updated to this most recent OS Build.
- Updates to improve security when using Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.
- Updates to improve security when Windows performs basic operations.
- Updates to improve security when using Microsoft Office products.
- Updates to improve security when using input devices (such as a mouse, keyboard, or stylus).
- Improves security in Microsoft Xbox and the Microsoft Store.
- Updates for verifying usernames and passwords.
- Updates for storing and managing files.
Improvements and fixes
This security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:
- Addresses an issue that prevents users from updating .msi files from a network folder.
- Addresses an issue that causes the promotion of a server to a domain controller to fail. This occurs when the Local Security Authority Subsystem Service (LSASS) process is set as Protected Process Light (PPL).
- Addresses a security issue described in CVE-2018-0886 by adding support for the “Encryption Oracle Remediation” policy setting and changing the default value from Vulnerable to Mitigated. For more information about how this might affect your environment if you are using Remote Desktop, see KB4093492.
- Security updates to the Microsoft Scripting Engine, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Media, Windows Kernel, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Shell, Microsoft Xbox, the Microsoft Store, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Management, Windows Authentication, Windows Cryptography, Microsoft HoloLens, Windows Virtualization, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows File Server and Clustering, Windows Hybrid Storage Services, the Microsoft JET Database Engine, and the Windows Update Stack.
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
Windows Update Improvements
Microsoft has released an update directly to the Windows Update client to improve reliability. Any device running Windows 10 configured to receive updates automatically from Windows Update, including Enterprise and Pro editions, will be offered the latest Windows 10 feature update based on device compatibility and Windows Update for Business deferral policy. This doesn't apply to long-term servicing editions.
Known issues in this update
|After installing KB4493509, devices with some Asian language packs installed may receive the error, "0x800f0982 - PSFX_E_MATCHING_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND."|| |
Note If reinstalling the language pack does not mitigate the issue, reset your PC as follows:
Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
After installing this update, certain printers might fail to print. The print spooler might throw an error or close unexpectedly when attempting to print, and no output will come from the affected printer.
You might also encounter issues with the apps you are attempting to print from. You might receive an error from the app or the app might close unexpectedly.Note This issue might also affect software-based printers, for example printing to PDF.
|This issue is resolved in KB4567513.|
|The Local Security Authority Subsystem Service (LSASS) file (lsass.exe) might fail on some devices with the error message, “A critical system process, C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe, failed with status code c0000008. The machine must now be restarted."||This issue is resolved in KB4558998.|
|After installing KB4550969 or later, when using Microsoft Edge Legacy, you might receive the error,”0x80704006. Hmmmm…can’t reach this page” when attempting to reach websites on non-standard ports. Any website that uses a port listed in the Fetch Standard specification under bad ports or port blocking might cause this issue.|| |
This issue is resolved in KB4577069.
How to get this update
Before installing this update
Microsoft strongly recommends you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before installing the latest cumulative update (LCU). SSUs improve the reliability of the update process to mitigate potential issues while installing the LCU and applying Microsoft security fixes. For general information about SSUs, see Servicing stack updates and Servicing Stack Updates (SSU): Frequently Asked Questions.
Install this update
|Release Channel||Available||Next Step|
|Windows Update and Microsoft Update||Yes||None. This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update.|
|Microsoft Update Catalog||Yes||To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.|
|Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)||Yes|| |
This update will automatically sync with WSUS if you configure Products and Classifications as follows:
Product: Windows 10Classification: Security Updates
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for cumulative update 4561608.
Note Some files erroneously have “Not applicable” in the “File version” column of the CSV file. This might lead to false positives or false negatives when using some third-party scan detection tools to validate the build.