For both the PC infected with a virus or malware, and the PC that you are creating the bootable media on, you'll need PCs with the following minimum requirements.
- Operating system.
- Windows Vista with SP2, or higher
- Windows 7 with SP1, or higher
- Windows 8
- Processor. Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8: 1 GB RAM or higher
- Video resolution. 800 X 600 or higher
- Available hard disk space. 500 MB
For the PC infected by a virus or malware
- The PC must have the same Windows operating system (OS) architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) as Windows Defender Offline. Bootable media created on any version of Windows can be run on any other version of Windows. The only thing that needs to match is the architecture of Windows Defender Offline and the OS of the infected machine.
- BitLocker must be disabled to use Windows Defender Offline.
For the PC on which you create the bootable media
- Administrator account. A user account with administrator privileges to create the bootable media.
- Internet connection. An Internet connection to install and download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Windows Defender Offline.
- Internet browser. Windows Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher, or Mozilla Firefox 3.0 or higher.
- Media. A CD, DVD, or USB flash drive with at least 250 MB of free space.