The Microsoft Business, Developer and Desktop Operating System Policy applies to most products currently available through retail purchase or volume licensing and offers a minimum of:
- Ten years of support (a minimum of five years Mainstream Support and a minimum of five years Extended Support) at the supported service pack level for business, developer, and desktop operating system products
- A minimum five years Mainstream Support at the supported service pack level for consumer and multimedia products
- Microsoft is committed to providing products with improved security. Although we strive to remove vulnerabilities during development, software vulnerabilities remain a fact today and we must be prepared to respond when they are discovered. Microsoft advises customers to install the latest product releases, security updates, and service packs to remain as secure as possible. For the latest information on security updates, please visit our TechNet Library. Older products may not meet today’s more demanding security requirements. Microsoft may be unable to provide security updates for older products.
Lifecycle phases for business, developer, desktop operating systems, consumer and multimedia software
|Type of support||Mainstream Support||Extended Support||Self-help Online Support|
|Request to change product design and features||Available||Not available||Note4|
|Complimentary support1 included with license, licensing program2 or other no-charge support programs||Available||Not available3||Note4|
|Paid-support (including pay-per-incident premier and essential support)||Available||Available||Note4|
*NOTE: The Business, Developer and Desktop Operating System Policy does not apply to all products. To see the specific support and servicing start and end dates by applicable product, search the lifecycle product database.1 Refers to phone and online support options.
- Incident support (no-charge incident support, paid incident support, support charged on an hourly basis, support for warranty claims)
- Security update support
- The ability to request nonsecurity updates
- Paid support4
- Security update support at no additional cost
- Nonsecurity related updates requires Extended Hotfix Support to be purchased (per-fix fees also apply).5
Extended Hotfix Support is not available for desktop operating system consumer products. More details are available here.
- Microsoft will not accept requests for warranty support, design changes, or new features during the Extended Support phase
- Extended Support is not available for consumer, consumer hardware, or multimedia products
- Enrollment in a maintenance program may be required to receive these benefits for certain products
5 Microsoft Lifecycle policy permits the creation and broad distribution of certain nonsecurity updates during the Extended Support phase. For example, it may be necessary to provide a nonsecurity update that enables continued connectivity and servicing through the Automatic Update or Windows Server Update service.
Self-help Online Support
Self-help Online Support is available throughout a product's lifecycle and for a minimum of 12 months after the product reaches the end of its support. Microsoft online knowledge base articles, FAQs, troubleshooting tools, and other resources, are provided to help customers resolve common issues.
NOTE: Enrollment in a maintenance program may be required to receive these benefits for certain products
The information on this page is subject to the Microsoft Policy Disclaimer and Change Notice. Return to this site periodically to review any such changes.
Article ID: 14085 - Last Review: 8 març 2017 - Revision: 45