This chapter provides an overview of Narrator and how to start and stop it.
Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete common tasks if you’re blind or have low vision. It reads and interacts with things on the screen, like text and buttons. Use Narrator to read and write email, browse the internet, and work with documents.
Specific commands let you navigate Windows, the web, and apps, as well as get info about the area of the PC you're in. Navigation is available using headings, links, landmarks, and more. You can read text (including punctuation) by page, paragraph, line, word, and character as well as determine characteristics like font and text color. Efficiently review tables with row and column navigation.
Narrator also has a navigation and reading mode called Scan Mode. Use it to get around Windows 10 using just the up and down arrows on your keyboard. You can also use a braille display to navigate your PC and read text.
Finally, you can adjust the speaking rate, pitch, and volume of the voice that Narrator uses as well as install some third-party text-to-speech voices.
Three ways to start and stop Narrator
- Press Windows logo key + Ctrl + Enter together to start Narrator. Press these keys again to stop Narrator. If you're using a previous version of Windows, press Windows Logo Key + Enter together to start and stop Narrator. On many keyboards, the Windows logo key is located on the bottom row of keys, to the left or right of the Alt key.
- Press Windows logo key + Ctrl + N to open Narrator settings, and then use the toggle under Narrator to turn it on.
- On the lower-right corner of the sign-in screen, select the Ease of Access button (or press Windows logo key + U) and then choose Narrator.
Customize Narrator to start automatically before or after you sign in to your PC
- Press Windows logo key + Ctrl + N to open Narrator settings.
- To start Narrator automatically after you sign in, select Start Narrator after sign-in.
- To start Narrator automatically before sign in for all users, select Start Narrator before sign-in for everyone.
Go back to the Table of Contents