A1: There is no upgrade from Office for Mac 2004 or from Office for Mac 2008 to Office for Mac 2011. You can purchase Office for Mac 2011 by visiting Microsoft Store, http://store.microsoft.com. Both an earlier version and the current version can be installed on the same computer. You do not have to remove your previous version. Your documents will not be removed or changed when you install Office for Mac 2011.
Q2: Do I need to remove my previous version before I install Office 2011?
A2: No. For example, you can have Office 2008 and Office 2011 installed on the same computer and under the same user account.
You can associate Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, and Microsoft Excel to open with one version of Office (either an earlier version or Office 2011) by associating the relevant extension to the program that you want to use. For example, if you want to open all Word documents by using Office 2011, follow these steps:
- Right-click any Word file.
- Select Open With/Other.
- Go to Applications\Microsoft Office 2011, and then select Word 2011.
- Select always open with.
- Click Open.
Repeat these steps for Excel and for PowerPoint.
Note Office 2011 uses different file name extensions than Office 2004 uses, and these file name extensions are not supported by Office 2004. Therefore, you cannot assign files that have Office 2011 file name extensions to Office 2004. For example, if a Word file has the file name extension .docx , you can only open it by using Word 2011, not Word 2004.
Q3: What Office for Mac 2011 products are available for purchase?
A3: The following products are available:
- Office for Mac Home and Student: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Messenger for Mac. This version is available for purchase online at store.microsoft.com/ or at www.microsoft.com/mac. This product also installs Microsoft Outlook, but you need a Home and Business product key to activate Outlook.
- Office for Mac Home and Business: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Messenger for Mac, and Outlook. This version is available for purchase online at store.microsoft.com or at www.microsoft.com/mac.
- Office for Mac Academic: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Messenger, and Outlook. Only available to schools. For more information, visit the following website:
- Office for Mac Standard: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Messenger, Outlook, and Communicator. This is a volume-licensed version that is only available to business and to schools. For information about volume licensing, visit http://www.microsoft.com/mac/enterprise.
- Home and Business 1PK – Licensed for 1 Mac (1 User).
- Home and Business 2PK – Licensed for 1 user to install on 2 Macs.
- Home and Student 1PK – Licensed for home and student use on 1 Mac.
- Home and Student Family Pack - Licensed for home and student use on 3 Macs per household.
- Academic version – Licensed for qualified Academic use on 1 Mac.
- Purchasing a card with a 27 digit PIN:
- Home and Business 2 Pack – Licensed for 1 user for install on 2 Macs.
A4: Communicator is included in Office for Mac Standard version, which is a volume-licensed version that is available to businesses and schools.
Q5: Can I still use Microsoft Entourage even if Microsoft Outlook is installed?
A5: Yes, Entourage can still be used as the default email program. For information about how to migrate from Entourage to Outlook, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Αναγνωριστικό άρθρου: 2458999 - Τελευταία αναθεώρηση: 28 Νοε 2011 - Αναθεώρηση: 1