This chapter provides an overview of Narrator and also how to start and stop it.
Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete common tasks if you’re blind or have low vision. It reads and interacts with things on the screen, like text and buttons. Use Narrator to read and write email, browse the Internet, and work with documents.
Specific commands let you navigate Windows, the web, and apps, as well as get info about the area of the PC you're in. Navigation is available using headings, links, landmarks, and more. You can read text (including punctuation) by page, paragraph, line, word, and character as well as determine characteristics like font and text color. Efficiently review tables with row and column navigation.
Narrator also has a navigation and reading mode called Scan Mode. Use it to get around Windows 10 using just the up and down arrows on your keyboard. You can also use a braille display to navigate your PC and read text.
Finally, you can adjust the speaking rate, pitch, and volume of the voice that Narrator uses as well as install some third-party text-to-speech voices.
Three ways to start and stop Narrator
- On the lower-right corner of the sign-in screen, select the Ease of Access button and then choose Narrator.
- In the Windows 10 Creators Update, press the Windows logo key + Ctrl + Enter together to start Narrator. Press these keys again to stop Narrator. In previous versions of Windows, press the Windows Logo Key + Enter together to start and stop Narrator. On many keyboards, the Windows logo key is located on the bottom row of keys, to the left or right of the Alt key.
- Select the Start button, then select Settings , choose Ease of Access, select Narrator, and then move the slider under Narrator to turn it on.
Customize Narrator to start automatically before or after you sign in to your PC
- Press the Windows logo key on your keyboard, type Ease of Access Center in the search box, and then select Ease of Access Center.
- Select Change sign-in settings.
- Under Hear text on screen read aloud (Narrator), select the check box under At sign-in or After sign-in and then press OK.
Go back to the Table of Contents
Article ID: 22817 - Last Review: Apr 11, 2017 - Revision: 32