Note Some products might not be available in your country or region.
Some products might not be available in your country or region.
After a service request, you'll need to set up your Surface, install updates, restore your files, and reinstall your apps.
Video: Restore a backup to your Surface
This video is available in English only.
Step 1: Turn on your Surface and complete setup
Use the same Microsoft account you used on your original Surface. This lets you access your same settings, calendar, contacts, and email.
Step 2: Install updates
Once setup is complete, install the latest updates for your Surface and Windows . To check for updates, select Settings > Update and security > Windows Update. Go to Install Surface and Windows Updates for more info.
Step 3: Restore your files
Add your files that you previously backed up, as recommended in How to prepare your Surface for service.
If you backed up your files to OneDrive, you can access them whenever you need them. For more info about using OneDrive, see OneDrive on your PC .
Restore files with File History or File Explorer
- File Explorer. You can copy files manually to your Documents, Videos, Pictures, and Music libraries from another storage location.
Step 4: Reinstall your apps
When you get a Surface back from our service center, you’ll need to reinstall your Windows apps and other software, like Microsoft Office.
Important info for Surface Laptop with Windows 10 S
If you have Surface Laptop and switched to Windows 10 Pro, it’ll have Windows 10 S installed when you receive your Surface back from service. You’ll need to switch to Windows 10 Pro again, and re-install any non-Microsoft Store apps.
Reinstall Windows apps
- Go to Start , and select Microsoft Store.
- Select your account picture and select My Library.
- Choose the apps or games you want to install and select Download .
Reinstall Microsoft Office
If you have an active Office 365 subscription or you own a copy of Office, the steps to reinstall it will depend on the version you have.
Office 365: If you have an active subscription, you can reinstall Office by signing in to your Office 365 account at Office.com/myaccount.
For more info, see Download and install Office 365 Home, Personal, or University on your PC.
Office: If you own a copy of Office, you’ll need to have your 25-character product key to reinstall and activate it.
- If your copy of Office wasn’t included as part of your Surface purchase—for example, you bought your copy at a store or from an online retailer—select Office on the Microsoft support page to find out about your options for getting a replacement product key.
- If your Surface came with a copy of Office (not available in all countries or regions) and you exchanged your Surface for a replacement, your original Office product key won’t work on your replacement Surface. To get a replacement product key, contact us.
Reinstall any other apps or programs
Install any other programs you used by either visiting the software developer’s site, or install from the program CD you purchased.