Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
When you drag a connector's endpoint over a connection point in Microsoft Office Visio 2003 or in Microsoft Office Visio 2007, the connection point does not turn red. Additionally, when you release the connector's endpoint on top of the connection point, the connector and the connection point are not glued together.
This problem may occur if either of the following conditions is true:
- The connection point has too many objects already connected to it.
- The connection point resides in an area that is heavily crowded with other connections.
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
Visio 2003To resolve this problem for Visio 2003, install Microsoft Office Visio 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2). The default value for the number of connections that can be glued at a connection point has been changed to 100 in Visio 2003 SP2. For more information about Visio 2003 SP2, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
887622 Description of Visio 2003 Service Pack 2
Visio 2003 and Visio 2007If you want to change the number of connections that can be glued at a connection point, follow these steps for the version of Visio that you are using:
- Start Visio.
- On the Tools menu, click Options.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click to select the Put all settings in Windows registry check box.
- Click OK.
- Exit Visio.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey that applies to your version of Visio:
- Right-click SnapToShapeComplexity, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type a value for the number of connections that you want to be able to glue to a connection point, and then click OK.
Note You can configure a value between 50 and 1000 for the SnapToShapeComplexity registry entry. After you install Visio 2003 SP2, the default value for the SnapToShapeComplexity registry entry is 100. This default value should be sufficient for most complex drawings. If you configure a value that is greater than 300 for the SnapToShapeComplexity registry entry, system performance may be affected when a drawing has 300 connection points.
- On the File menu, click Exit.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.