Here are some suggestions to help you get back into your account as quickly as possible.
First, try the easiest thing: if you remember your password but it isn’t working, make sure that Caps Lock is turned off and that your email address is spelled correctly.
Reset your passwordIf you can't remember your password, follow these steps to get into your account.
- Go to the Reset your password page.
- Choose the reason you need your password reset, then click Next.
- Enter the email address you used when you made your Microsoft account. This could be any email address, or an email ending in a Microsoft domain like hotmail.com or outlook.com.
- Enter the characters you see on the screen (this lets us know you’re not a robot), then click Next.
- If you've added security info to your account, we'll send a one-time code to the alternate phone number or email address you gave us. After you enter that code on the next screen, you'll be able to make a new password.
If password reset doesn't work
Sometimes changing settings in your account can affect how you sign in, and resetting your password won't fix it. See if one of the scenarios below applies to you.
Article ID: 12429 - Last Review: 22 Jun 2016 - Revision: 13