Note Some products might not be available in your country or region.
Some products might not be available in your country or region.
If you’re having trouble getting your Surface Pro 4 to work with your Surface Pro 3 Docking Station using the docking station adapter, here are a few things to try.
- If you have trouble getting Surface Pro 4 to fit correctly
- Install Surface and Windows updates
- Still having trouble?
If you have a Surface Pro 4 and want to use it with your Surface Pro 3 Docking Station, you’ll need the Surface Pro 4 Adapter for Surface Pro 3 Docking Station. The adapter is available from your local Microsoft Store, or you can go to the Surface Online Service Center and select Replace an accessory to order one.
For more info, see Using Surface Pro 4 with your Surface Pro 3 Docking Station.
If you have trouble getting Surface Pro 4 to fit correctly
If you’re having problems with fitting your Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Pro 4 Adapter for Surface Pro 3 Docking Station into your Surface Pro 3 Docking Station, here are some things to check:
- Make sure that both sides of the docking station are pulled out before trying to insert the adapter and your Surface.
- Remove any attached accessories from Surface Pro 4 that would keep the docking station sides from connecting with it.
- Check the edges of your Surface Pro 4 where it touches the docking station sides. If one side is tilted out, open the docking station, reseat both the adapter and your Surface, and push the sides in again.
- If the adapter is damaged, it may not fit properly. If you see any damage to your adapter, contact us.
Install Surface and Windows updates
If you’ve docked your Surface Pro 4 using the Surface Pro 4 Adapter for Surface Pro 3 Docking Station but the docking station still isn’t working properly, make sure you have all the latest Surface and Windows updates installed. Installing the latest updates, including updates to Windows and accessories like the docking station, can often help fix problems.
- Position your Surface Pro 4 on top of the adapter in the docking station and slide the sides of the docking station into the sides of your Surface.
Make sure the docking station is getting power.
Go to Start , and select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update.
Select Check for updates. If updates are available, select Details.
- Select the updates you want to install, and select Install.
You may need to restart your Surface after the updates have installed.
Still having trouble?
If your Surface Pro 4 fits in your docking station but still isn’t working (for example, it’s not charging or the audio doesn’t work), see Troubleshoot docking stations.