When you use the default Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (Windows) (WMSDE) database configuration to deploy Microsoft Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), one or more of the following problems occur:
- Client computers stop reporting to the WSUS server. Therefore, no new client computers are added to the WSUS computer list.
- WSUS cannot synchronize with Microsoft Update.
- An administrator cannot approve new updates or cannot change settings.
- An Error event that is similar to the following may be logged in the Application log:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows Server Update Services
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 386
The description for Event ID ( 386 ) in Source ( Windows Server Update Services ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details.
System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Could not allocate space for object 'tbXml' in database 'SUSDB' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full.
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.DrainObsoleteConnections(SqlException e)
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DataAccess.ExecuteSPImportUpdate(Int32 upstreamServerLocalId, String xmlUpdateBlob, Byte xmlUpdateBlobCompressed, Int32& localRevisionId)
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DataAccess.ImportUpdate(Int32 ussRevLocalId, String xmlUpdateBlob, Byte xmlUpdateBlobCompressed, Int32& localRevisionId)
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DataAccess.ImportUpdateForCatalogSync(String xmlUpdateBlob, Byte xmlUpdateBlobCompressed, ServerSyncUrlData fileUrls)
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.CatalogSyncAgentCore.ProcessNewUpdate(ServerSyncUpdateData updateData)
- The WSUSMSDESetupxxx.txt file contains text that is similar to the following in the SetDisableThrottle section:
MSI (s) (9C:54) [10:16:11:056]: Skipping action: SetDisableThrottle (condition is false)
These problems may occur in a large-scale, non-English-language deployment in which the WSUS database grows to more than 2 gigabytes (GB). These problems occur because the DisableThrottle setting is not included in the installation parameters for some localized versions of WSUS. These localized versions include the following versions:
- Simplified Chinese
- Traditional Chinese
To resolve this problem, use the following method:
- Type the following command from the osql command prompt to back up the database:Execute %programfiles%\update services\Tools\osql\osql.exe –S machine_name\WSUS –E -b –n –Q "BACKUP DATABASE SUSDB TO DISK='backup location'"Note The machine_name placeholder represents the name of the server where WSUS is installed. You do not have to add backward slashes (\\) in front of the server name. Also, the backup location placeholder represents a full path. This includes the drive name and the file name. For example, the backup location placeholder could represent "BACKUP DATABASE SUSDB TO DISK='c:\wsusdata.backup'"
- Remove WSUS, and then delete the database. For more information about how to remove WSUS from SQL Server, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Download a new installation of WSUS, and then save it to the computer's hard disk. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site :
- Type the following command to install WSUS:WSUSSetup.exe /l:ENUNote /I:ENU does not alter the display of the administration console. Also, it does not affect your local language setup.
- Type the following commands to stop the WSUS service and Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS):net stop wsusservice
- Type the following command to restore the database:Execute %programfiles%\update services\Tools\osql\osql.exe –S machinename\WSUS –E -b –n –Q "RESTORE DATABASE SUSDB FROM DISK='backup location'"Note The machine_name placeholder represents the name of the server where WSUS is installed. You do not have to add backward slashes (\\) in front of the server name. Also, the backup location placeholder represents a full path. This includes the drive name and the file name. For example, the backup location placeholder could represent "BACKUP DATABASE SUSDB TO DISK='c:\wsusdata.backup'"
- Restart the computer.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
WMSDE can be run in either Throttled or Unthrottled mode. In Throttled mode, WMSDE behaves similarly to a typical MSDE instance that has a 2-GB size limitation on the databases. In Unthrottled mode, this limitation is removed.