- A master boot record (MBR)
- A boot sector
- A Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store
- Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 media in the DVD drive, and then start the computer.
- Press a key when you are prompted.
- Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard, or an input method, and then click Next.
- Click Repair your computer.
- Select the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
- In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
- Type Bootrec.exe, and then press Enter.
/FixMbrThis option writes a Windows 7 or Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. It does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove nonstandard code from the MBR.
/FixBootThis option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that's compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:
- The boot sector was replaced with a nonstandard Windows Vista or Windows 7 boot sector.
- The boot sector is damaged.
- An earlier Windows operating system was installed after Windows Vista or Windows 7 was installed. In this situation, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).
/ScanOsThis option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. It also displays the entries that are currently not in the BCD store. Use this option when there are Windows Vista or Windows 7 installations that the Boot Manager menu does not list.
/RebuildBcdThis option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Additionally, it lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD store.
To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:
- bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
- cd boot
- attrib bcd -s -h -r
- ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
- bootrec /RebuildBcd
Article ID: 927392 - Last Review: Mar 1, 2017 - Revision: 3