If you are having trouble redeeming a code, check out Troubleshooting, below.
Tips about gift cards and codes
Here are a few tips you should know before you get started:
- Both the Microsoft and Xbox cards work just the same. Once redeemed to your Microsoft account, you can spend your balance at Microsoft Store online, on Windows, and on Xbox. You can get the latest apps, games, movies, TV shows, and Surface, Xbox, and accessories.
- Gift cards do not currently work at physical Microsoft Stores.
- You currently cannot buy Microsoft 365 with a gift card.
How to redeem a gift card or code online
The easiest way to redeem a gift card or code is online. Sign in to microsoft.com/redeem with your Microsoft account, enter the 25-character code, and then select Next.
If you or your family have multiple Microsoft accounts, make sure you're signed in to the one to which you want to apply the gift card or code. Money can't be transferred from one Microsoft account to another and can't be converted from one currency to another. For more info, see Limits on the money in your Microsoft account.
Try signing in to your Microsoft account using an InPrivate browser session to clear all other Microsoft account info from the cache. See Browse InPrivate in Microsoft Edge for more info.
If you want, you can also redeem a card or code from Microsoft Store on a Windows 10 device. For more details, go to the next section.
How to redeem a new Office product key online
Sign in to Office.com/setup with your Microsoft account, enter the 25-character product key, and then select Next.
How to redeem a gift card or code from Microsoft Store on a Windows 10 device
To redeem a gift card or code on your Xbox One or Xbox 360, see How to redeem gift cards and codes.
Here's how to redeem a gift card or code from Microsoft Store on a Windows 10 device:
- On your Windows 10 device, select Microsoft Store on the taskbar.
- In Microsoft Store, select the See more menu (located next to the Search box on the upper right side of the page).
- Select Redeem a code. If you aren't already signed in, sign in to the Microsoft account on which you want to redeem the code.
- Enter the 25-character code, and then select Redeem. Don’t worry about hyphens, the system takes care of those for you.
How can I tell if my card or code was redeemed?
To see if your card or code was redeemed, check your order history. On the Order history page, look for the date that you redeemed the card or code, and you’ll see the order number and how the card or code was used. If you see Redeemed code under Payment method, the card or code was successfully redeemed.
What happens after I redeem my gift card or code?
- If the card or code has money on it, we'll apply the entire balance to your Microsoft account. You can use it to buy things from Microsoft Store online, on Windows 10, and on Xbox One.
- If the card or code is for a specific app or game, we'll add it to your personal library, where you can download and install it. Go to My Library in Microsoft Store. When some apps or games are redeemed, they will take you to the product page where you can also download and install.
- If the card or code is for a subscription, you can find it in your Services & subscriptions.
- For more info about Microsoft gift cards and codes, see Microsoft gift cards and codes and Microsoft gift cards terms and conditions.
- Get more info about how you can spend the money in your Microsoft account.
- See Microsoft gift card terms and conditions for more info about gift card refunds.
- Visit the Error & Status Code Search page to learn more about errors when you're redeeming an Xbox code.