If your desktop, laptop, tablet, Surface, or Surface Pen is lost or stolen, use Find my device to locate and lock it remotely.
Getting started with Find my device
- You can only use the Find my device feature for Windows devices. You can't use this feature for iOS devices, Android devices, or Xbox One consoles.
- You must be signed into your Windows 10 device in order to lock and locate it with Find my device.
- You can't use Find my device with a work or school account.
- Your Windows device must be connected to the Internet and have enough battery power so it can send its location.
Find your Windows device
- Sign in to account.microsoft.com/devices with the Microsoft account you use with the lost or stolen Windows device. If you’re having issues signing in to your Microsoft account, see Microsoft account help.
- Select the Find my device tab, and then select your device from the list on the left.
- You'll see a map with a highlighted location. Click the Find button to ensure this map is updated with the device's most recent known location.
- In the meantime, we'll automatically start a new search. Wait a bit and the new device location should appear.
Lock your Windows device remotely after locating it
When you find your device on the map, select Lock > Next.
Type a lock-screen message for anyone who finds your device to see.
Once your device is locked, you should reset your password for added security. Select Reset password and follow the instructions.
Turn Locate my device on or off
When setting up your Windows 10 device, you could turn on or off Find my device. If you want to change this, here's how.
In previous versions of Windows 10, the Find my device setting was determined by whether Location was set to on or off.
If you decide you want to change the setting after you've completed Windows 10 setup:
- Sign in to your Microsoft account on your Windows device. If you’re having issues signing in to your Microsoft account, go to Microsoft account help.
- Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Find my device.
Open Find my device settings
If the Find my device option is not available, it means that you're using a school or work account and can't use this feature.
Select Change, and then turn the setting to On or Off. We recommend that you leave Find my device turned on.
Find your Surface Pen
You can locate your Surface Pen using Find my device on your Windows 10 PC. To do this:
Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Find my device.
- Your device will display the last time you used your pen and any available location data.
- For info about linking your phone and PC, see Linking your phone and PC help.
- For info about the Your Phone app, including troubleshooting help, see Your Phone app help.
- Go to the Xbox Support site to see what to do if your Xbox gets stolen.
- To see a list of the devices associated with your Microsoft account, sign in to account.microsoft.com/devices with your Microsoft account.